Temperature Fluctuation During water change.

michael.qian

Hi all, me again

When I change 15% of the water weekly in my 135L tank, should I be worried about the temperature fluctuation?

When the new cold water comes in and mixes with the warm water in the tank the temperature usually drops 2 degrees very quickly. The heater has to slowly bring it back up again.

Mainly worried about the neon tetras and the clown loaches (might be getting 3 today).

Would this sudden drop in temperature stress them out too much? Though it will be over in a few hours and temperature will be back to normal.

Cheers

don't think it would contain any ammonia

but there could potentially be all sorts of things in your hot water cylinder and the pipes are copper rather than plastic.

However copper is relatively inert so unlikely to leach much.

I used to do 50% water changes on my Malawi tank with the garden hose. The temp dropped about 10C. The fish played in the current and loved it.

Not sure about clown loaches though as they are sensitive to water conditions.

Nothing wrong with mixing hot and cold water in a bucket.

Just got the clown loaches, gotta say they look awesome, much better in my tank than in the tank at Jansens :)

They still in the pet shop bag at the moment going to keep them in there for 20 minutes, hope they don't get whitespot, tank temperature is at 24.5 but I turned the heater up to 25 a while ago so tonight the tank should be at 27, my heater is 2 degrees out.

Anyway hope they'll be ok.

Geez they ARE pretty shy.

As soon as put them in the tank within 2 second they were out of my sight and found themselves a place to squeeze into.

Many fish are like this in a new environment. You should start seeing them more in the next few day's

Oh, how we all try to beat "Mother Nature".. :roll:

When I do a water change the water I put back in the tank is never the same termperature as that which is taken out.

Two or three degrees colder is about what "I" aim for.

"TO BE GOOD AT ANYTHING", you have to think like that which you are imitating. In other words.....THINK LIKE A FISH. :wink:

When it rains in nature, the water is COLDER than the river, creek, or stream that it is falling into by several degrees. 8)

A smart Fish thinks..."Hmmmmmmmmmmm, Start of the rainy season, plenty of food available so I might go looking for love and there will be food aplenty for the babies"

Just ask me how I get to breed and raise "ANGEL FISH" so easily. :hail:

Think about it.

:bow: