Driftwood .....

KELLYMAN

I was told that willow is toxic but not sure how this can be when most riverbanks have willows growing there :-?

Look for native hard woods like rata and rimu. These are excellent. Mostly found up rivers or on the beach by river mouths, especially on the West Coast.

Make sure the wood you pick is not rotting.

I use quite a lot of native hard woods as the plecs eat plenty. I get mine from rivers as wood from river mouths/beaches can have a lot of sand in it. It's easy to find as it looks dark, sometimes almost black, is relatively heavy, and often has a sculptered look to it (I assume from years of water running past it). It can take a while to sink so its useful to have extra bits sitting in a bucket somewhere until it begins to sink.

The shop stuff seems to sink immediately no matter how dry it is.

Also both sorts will usually leach a lot of tannins into the water for several weeks. The fish seem fine with it, they may even enjoy it, but your water may look like weak tea for a while if you use a lot of it. :)

I had one leech for about two months. In the end i got rid of it (actually sitting in the garage now). It is a great looking piece of wood. Since it is getting on the bigger side i could not boil it, i had to drill small holes in the back of it just to get it to sink. It still floated, even after been soaked in a wheelie bin for a couple of months!

I try and boil all my little pieces as this seems to help them soak up water and leech quicker as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have quiet a collection of driftwood now thaks to the heavy rain etc... so the tank is looking good, I sandblasted some to see just how weather torn I could get it, it bought out the grain in it and sure took off all the rot and grim lol followed it up with a steam clean and hey presstoo!! just heat and eat 8)