Absent Without Fish

Fluffypants

We are going away for a week and will be getting our neighbour to keep an eye on our tank. I was wondering if it would be okay to drop down to one feed a day and leaving the lights off all day. The tank gets early morning sun from across the room, so it gets a bit of natural light. I thought by having the 'sitter' come in once a day she won't find it too much of a drag.

It is always better to under feed than to over feed so that should work fine as long as the neighbour knows how much food to give, might pay to leave an example for the neighbour. Turning the lights off should also be ok providing you do not have any plants that need a huge amount of light.

I would think the fish and plants would be fine without both light and food for a week.. Just feed them and do a water change before you go..

If you do decide to get your neighbour to feed the fish it was suggested by someone on here Caryl (I think) to goto the $2 shop and get the labeled pill dispenser containers and stick each days food in the container for each day (hide all other food), I once got a friend to feed fish and despite me showing how much to put out he seemed to enjoy it and I found a whole container of food in the tank and dead fish when I got back..

It was me who suggested the pill containers but if it is a mature tank with plenty of plants and not overstocked, I would not feed the fish at all for the week (assuming they are not large cichlids or small fry) and put the lights on timers.