Breeding Danios

Dixon1990

When I've bred them in the past, I've done it in a two-footer with a layer of marbles in the bottom. I've left the parents in the tank for a couple of days then removed them, and soon after that I've seen the fry climbing up the glass sides of the tank. When they're free swimming I gave them decapsulated brine shrimp.

But yes, much the same as WCMM and just as rewarding. A real fun fish to breed and quick growing.

Yep, ideal, looks like the stones are big enough to act as recepters for the eggs too.

Make sure that you boil-up all the gravel before use.

Also sterilise the tank with a paste of salt and water.

Goodluck

Cool, Just got a text from a friend, and he said he has a tank slightly bigger i can use to breed them in.

And One last question. How big do the fish need to be to breed? Mine are about an inch at the max.

And is the breeding method similar for tiger barbs or rasboras because i have some fat tiger barbs and some with really bright red noses and what looks to be a male and a female volcano rasbora.

I have bred both in an 18x9x9 inch tank (450x225x225mm). I used marbles in a bare tank. They are cheap at the $2 shop but my advice is to make sure the females are well conditioned and full of roe first. It is just as easy to rear 1000 fry as 100 but pays the power bill better.

marbles are more trouble than they're worth. I don't know why people keep recomending them. Go to Mitre 10 or somewhere like that and buy some whitebait mesh, cut a bit to fit the tank and thats your spawning grid. Its easy to take in and out, you can see the eggs and get to them easily if need be, the fish are easier to hook out after they've spawned, etc.

If only spawning a pair or trio (rather than a school) I just use a 30cm tank and float it in whatever larger tank is handy to keep it warm. Much easier and saves on room.

• 1 month later...

i have just spawned some zebra danios , my tank is about 15 L .i then put one of those net breeders in the tank and filled it with spawning mops , i dropped the water level so that the the fish had about 1cm of water to swim in(above the level of the mops) . i pulled the adults out after 2 days and had a heap of eggs , and now i have about 50 fry swimming about. im just feeding them on powdered fry food til they are big enough for microworms