Gear needed

Joefish!

Hi My name is Joe,i am starting up a tank for rainbow fish, so far I have a heater. Dad is getting me a tank, i need some lights and an external filter.

the tank is a 3 foot tank. I have browsed the trade lists but don't really know what i am looking at.

Any help would be great,

thanks

Joe

ok you will also need

a filter for a start and some lights

i would go for a external canister filter maybe a aqua one cf 1000 (pumps 1000 L an hour) or something of same power\

and light depends on if you want to grow plants or not

and welcome to the forum btw :D

Hi Joe, good to see you posting at last. 8)

I think I might be able to help with the lights.

Snookie, he isn't sure what rainbows are available and suitable for a beginner. He likes the dwarf neon rainbows and Boesemani.

i heard as a rule of thumb that an external cannister filter should filter through 3 times the volume of your tank in an hour, so for example if your tank holds 200 litres look for a filter that can filter at least 600 litres per hour.

all the best with your tank, please post some photos once you have it set up.

Welcome Joefish! :)

Rainbows are awesome fish, you will really love them. We used to keep Bosemani and Neon Dwarfs, however not together as Bosemani would pick on the Neon Dwarf somewhat. Madagascar rainbows went in well with Neon Dwarfs, not sure if you have seen them? They are very nice :D

Yep Caryl $128 is good for a CF1200 :D

That is what we need to know Afrikan, what rainbows to avoid, if any, or what not to mix. I am helping Joefish! set his tank up and he has joined our club. Are rainbows readily available in shops? Although I had a tank of them myself a few years ago they weren't bought from a shop and the breeder I got them from now lives overseas.

I had a big Melanotaenia of some sort. It was generally decided he was a cross between a boesemani and a lacustris but nobody was sure. He was in with neon dwarfs and never bothered them. I also had McCullochi and a couple of others but I can't remember what they were.

The CF1200 is probably overkill but bigger is better - when it comes to filtration I think.