A better way to change water

Benny

I've been using the siphon/bucket method for a while. It's a pain in the ass, and I end up spilling a lot of the water on the floor when trying to carry the bucket. I've done a little research, does anyone have experience with using a product like the 'python' automatic water change thing?

I dont use a bucket unless I really have to, the big tanks are changed via the pool pump and a pool vaccum brush, dont lose fish and can scrub the tank at the same time due to some imaginative plumbing I can adjust the flow rate accordingly. I fill it with the hose in incremements over 2 days. Before winter I will need to look at buying something like a 2000w heater though....$151 retail at the hydroponic suppliers.

The smaller tanks I use a hose connected to the laundry taps and another hose to syphon out with some fiddling you can match the flow rates.

Joze

How big is your tank??? A 2000 watt heater seems pretty extreme!

I use a 300 on my 400 liter freshwater and its gets cold here, no problems. I would be surprised if anyone has a spot so cold that 300 watts can't hold the tanks temp. What say you all?

I am also using 1 300 watt heater on my reef, which is about 900 liters. My lights do some of the work during the day, but at night just the heater to back things up but it did the trick fine. I don't expect to add any more heating to the tank. I am looking at adding another 700 liters to the 'sump', and I may need more heating then as it will be in the garage. But the reason for this is no keep it cool in summer!!!

Pies

Some talk of having a large capacity abilityof storage is coming thru.

I ie. use those large blue plastic drums.

But for heating, I do not require it, as the drum/drums are kept in my fish room which is heated so the storage heating isn't required.

After reading the expense of the heater that was going to be used, I thought a bit. "Ya must be able to THAT cheaper"

Why not go to a "Farmlands" or similar, and get an immersion heater.,

I have a couple of these from the days before heating the whole room period.

Another thought is a replacement element for an electric jug.

Just drill a hole, insert with the supplied washers, and 'hey presto' a large electric jug.

You may need a thermostat set up, just in case a 'Senior Moment' hits, and you have an over heated LARGE amount of water.

Just some ramblings.

Alan