Protein Skimmer

jonahpup

Hi...

Im still in the throes of getting my tank set up... and I was just wanting a bit of advice about protein skimmers.

I have a 4 foot tank which holds around 250 litres of water. My main focus at present is to have fish, live rock, and then maybe sometime in the future think about putting in some corals.

Most people I have spoken to about them say I should be budgeting around $500-700 for a skimmer.

I have seen a Weipro SA2014 (hang on or in sump) skimmer with pump for sale for under $200, and it says that it has a maximum capacity of 500Litres.

Would this be ok to use in a tank my size?? I mean... according to the specs of the product it would be... but im looking more for the opinions of people who have experience rather than what a spec list says...

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Hi jonahpup,

the advise you have had is correct, 500-700 should get you a good skimmer for your tank. remember the skimmer is probably the single most important peice of equipment you will purchase. so buy quality.

i would recomend a Deltc mc500 for your tank, these are well made skimmers and everyone who has one is happy with there performance. easy to set up and use and no fiddling to make it work correctly.

I have a 4 foot tank which holds around 250 litres of water. My main focus at present is to have fish, live rock, and then maybe sometime in the future think about putting in some corals.

If you are thinking of corals, even at a later stage, you are are probably better off buying the best skimmer you can (or in most cases with marine fishkeeping, can't) afford, skimping at the early stages of setup can only lead to water quality problems and can cost you more in the longrun, as you will only have to upgrade later, and unless you buy a well recognised brand, the resale price will be a fraction of what you bought it for.

Most people I have spoken to about them say I should be budgeting around $500-700 for a skimmer.

Chris

This sounds about right, I have a Deltec MC500, cost me just under $500. It requires hardly any tuning and fiddling around with, and pulls a fair amount of very dark skimate out of our wee tank.

Do your sums and research first, take your time in setting this up, it will save you a lot of heartache and money when you finally get it going.

Have a look at this thread to get an idea of what planning is involved:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/the-ho ... 22127.html

companies always overrate their skimmers

Not all compaines, only the ones that have cheap skimmers so it makes them look like a bargain compared to the real quality skimmers.

Would this be ok to use in a tank my size??

You have many options like a sump skimmer or a hangon skimmer,

But get the best skimmer you can afford as it might cost more now but you will save money in the long run as you will not have to upgrade like most of the Hobbyist.