what about squid

I was at the bay of islands a couple of years back an saw a whole lot of squid in a rock pool they looked fine in with the goat fish but sure turned a nasty shade of red when i caugt one ive been wanting to keep them ever since. worried about them inking but would it be possible.

The longest i have maintained a squid for was just under 6 months

high flow rate, chiller and lots of oxygenation in the water, good filtration.

seem to only like very clean water, did partial water changes every week.

before this i had kept squid for varying lengths of time.

They eat all your fish as well.

beautiful to watch with the lights out, look like an exploding galaxy.

the red was a warning or angry colour

You can keep bobtail squid, they are small and like to stay in the sand until it's dark.

PB-nice-sepio-head.jpg

Keeping actual squid is much much harder, even the experts have a huge amount of trouble. You need a circular tank otherwise they crash into the walls and get "butt burn" which kills them. They also tend to have trouble feeding which makes things even more difficult.

If you can keep a full size squid alive for 24 hours it's quite impressive apparently.

It would be cool to have a guy like this... :D

DSCN0182.jpg

Check out www.tonmo.com , that's the cephalopod forum, heaps of info there.

Hope you guys have your permits handy :)

Please read the Guidelines.

Copyright:

If you are using pictures that do not belong to you, you must give credit and acknowledge the source. Use these rules.

Linking to images on other sites is ok but you need to make sure that:

a) You are not breaking copyright rules (link to the original image not a copy)

b) The remote server allows hot-linking. The fact that you can see the image doesn't always mean that other users can see it.

c) If you link to an image that is not yours make sure you acknowledge the source.

Do not copy pictures to your own server or picture album unless you own them.

Why don't you guys "at least" give credit to the site or owner of the pic.

Think about your "own pics" being used by someone else on another site.

Mod

Bill

The squid we kept were out of local harbour about 10 -25 cm

avoided"butt burn" by having floating polystyrene or wood raft, they used as shelter,

took longer to "tame" than octopus but put that down to living in open water - flight reflex - they go fast and straight when scared, kept tank darker for a few days

in time they hand fed easily, all were started on live food young sprats and sweep, also shrimp

ammonia levels seemed to be critical to there survival, even slight spikes put them off colour

cant wait for summer so we can try some in the big pool

Well both of those are originally from www.Tonmo.com. My marine Bio lecturer took the second picture, it isn't in their gallery so I'm glad I saved it. :D

This picture seems to have multiple owners.

buried_cuttlefish.jpg

Livingart well done on keeping them, you are the only case I've heard of other than ones run by scientists! The big one in the second photo died by the next day. There was a cool site called squidcam that had a live video feed to a squid rearing tank, run by the guy who wanted to catch giant squid.

squidcam.jpg

Most fishkeepers cant afford to experiment, losing a fish can be expensive and disheartening, sometimes it takes a while and good testing equipment to find out what went wrong.

living by the sea with access to plentiful fresh water and test subjects might be the key.

the process of elimination and a good start system that had been running well and supporting life for many months allowed me to experiment

for a long time i was running local marines then when they had settled down would heat and convert to tropical marines using rockpool fish

i have also bred and raised seahorses for a number of years but other things have taken over at the moment