Ox Heart

evilknieval69

How does everyone else feed their fish ox heart? I have one in the freezer and have been meaning to get it out and start feeding it but it would be interesting to find out what others do....

Im thinking of just grating it frozen and just pulling a bit out and putting it into the tank when i want it.... sounds good? dont need to be cooked does it?

How does everyone else feed their fish ox heart? I have one in the freezer and have been meaning to get it out and start feeding it but it would be interesting to find out what others do....

Im thinking of just grating it frozen and just pulling a bit out and putting it into the tank when i want it.... sounds good? dont need to be cooked does it?

I make up 'discus tucker' that's oxheart based. I double mince it then place it in ice cube trays in the freezer. Before I mince it, I cut the heart up and remove all tendons, valves, skin, etc. to just leave the muscle of the oxheart.

yo rogan

we cut ours up before freezing

remove all the fat and tough stuff

cut into meal size cubes then freeflo in the freezer

take out cube partially defrost then dice up with knife bor thin strips (looks like worms)

or

cut off fat etc. then freeze then grate as you said for smaller fishes

the turtles go through 1 oxheart per day and 1 cup of soaked cat biscats

Teenage mutant oxheart munchers

I would just keep the chunk frozen, pull it out and slice off a thin, still frozen, slice of meat. Let it defrost and give it to the fish. Keep the rest in the freezer. If you have bigger fish then you could chunk it up and freeze it, but small pieces dry out faster in the freezer. A big frozen chunk you could slice off a sliver each day and make it last a month.

Cheers

Ian