Roaches

I use gisborne cockroachs as beardy food and they love them,don`t actually breed them but have hatched a few egg pods that

I have found.we have a lot of gumtrees around here and they are thick out there!Have a brother in aussie that raises what they call wood roachs,they look the same size and shape but a different colour.they just keep them in plastic bins with a couple of egg cartons to hide in and feed them bran and grated carrot,have a band of vaseline around the lip so they don`t climbout.

• 1 month later...

roaches would be the easyest of dragon food to get breeding as they just dont die yes i use sillicon spray iswell you dont need a spafific setup for them just some dirt and feed them dog bisciuts and salad and some gutload. and some where for them to hide and lay eggs ok

hope i helped

Kerryn

Hiya's

My american cockroaches are just developing wings so hopefully start breeding asap.

couple of questions for those in the know :bow: ;

- do you need dirt for any reason or for them to lay eggs or will they lay them on egg cartons?

-what temp is optimum for breeding?

-where do you get the silicon spray from?

Im just using vasiline atm which has worked well so far but i like the sound of this spray on silicon :lol:

Also does anyone have and want to sell some gisborne roaches???

(happy to trade, waxworms/fruitfly culture/also have but in limited supply some mealworms/ young locusts or crickets)

lol dam i wish i could find roahes around here, thanks to Mark (livingart) I might have some lined up but i wont say no to the offer of stopping by your place someday if i ever get up tht way :lol:

beardies are pretty good neally wiped out all my locusts and crix but got them hatching out again now & managed ok without but cant beat the live food so another week or 2 and should be all good again!

- do you need dirt for any reason or for them to lay eggs or will they lay them on egg cartons?

They will lay wherever. We use course vermeculite then have structures on top for them to hatch in/ run around on

-what temp is optimum for breeding?

Whatever. For American Roaches we have them heated using a 40W bulb on 12hrs a day

-where do you get the silicon spray from?

Hardware stores sell it. A good brand to look out for is "Priceless Super silicon spray" in the blue cans. Wakeboarders also use it to get their feet into tight bindings :roll:

Im just using vasiline atm which has worked well so far but i like the sound of this spray on silicon

Yes the good thing about silicone is it is transparent so we use it in display tanks too

I'd imagine roaches are bloody hard to kill and get rid of!

i once trapped a few roaches in a plastic container upside down, they lived weeks without food and started eating one another :o ...

also trapped a female with egg pod in a sticky cockroach house, the egg hatched with at least 20 little ones a few days later!! :o

they are probably the most hardy creature on earth, I heard rumours they can live 3 months without food or water and not affacted by radiation...so it's probably the only creature that would survive a nuclear war! :o

• 1 month later...

the gisborne ones from here have that smell but have never seen any reaction from the beardys while eating them.They will eventually cover all of nz I reckon,especially after seeing a really big sucker crawl out from under the bonnet of our car while sitting at roadworks just north of wellington and jump off!!also the in laws have found the odd one after visits from us,they crawl into any little cracks they can find and hitch a ride.