Our project - Planted Tank/Discus

Afrikan

Hubby and I have been plugging away at our project over the last few months... Here are some pics of our 760 litre tank.. photos are not the greatest and tank had been majorly stirred up prior to pics being taken. Substrate is propagating sand... run two external filters underneath along with UV sterilizer run inline to output. We have also only just got a Sera CO2 system which is being hooked up. The lighting system is T5's. I guess it was about time we kept some discus again :lol:

The tank is going to house 6 or so discus (Turks bred by Bry at Origin Aquatics) along with Columbian Tetras, Rams and Bolivians, Sterbai Corys and fancy plecs. The Dumerilli Angels are having their own seperate species home, seems I have a pairing so fingers crossed!!!.. There is a heap more planting to do with the tank, pics show tank only recently planted.

Will post some more pics as tank develops more..

2784585020101382648S500x500Q85.jpg

2889570120101382648S500x500Q85.jpg

Hiya Guys

Will post up specs later tonight.

Snookie - One end of the wood is inbedded in the sand and resting in the corner. And the other piece is running from a huge piece of imported mangrove piece and resting in corner.

Thanks TGWH.. :D yet I definately haven't quit with Malawis, they are MY babies and would never part with my Africans, along with the Tanganyikan species also. They are here to stay, and always will :D I have kept on rather a few African species, just have cut back a bit and the big tank in our room being one of the things we have cut back on.

Looks great

You might have to watch the Sterbais with the Discus they dont enjoy the higher temps at all

also with the fancy plecs alot of bad for plants some are good but watch out for the ones who require high oxygen content as they wont like a still planted tank either

Or Airate alot and lose CO2

Brad

:D

Thanks guys..

And thanks for that Brad, there is actually a fair bit of water flow, I am not really one for a still planted tank. If it means losing CO2 then no biggy :D :lol: We recently got some T5 lighting and it's amazing how well the plants have responded.. made the mistake of looking at the bulbs when switched on to test them, man it's pretty strong lighting :lol:

The fancy plecs I have are all compatible with the plants.. prior to shifting into the tank they were in another 5ft tank with plants, they seem to feed more on the meaty products and of course chomp their wood.. Didn't touch the plants at all, including Cabomba :lol: I have Iquitos, Flash Plecs, Clown Pleco and a Royal Whip in there :)

Thanks for the tip on the Sterbai to 8)