shy male australe gold

tukituki

hi,

i got a trio of australe golds and a trio of gardneri nigeriatum off trademe a few weeks ago, they all arrived alive and i slowly introduced them to my peaceful community tank.

my male australe gold has been a bit of a concern ever since. he hid after being in the tank only a short time. he didn't eat on the first night.

i was particularly worried the next morning as he had burried himself headfirst in the gravel. i actually thought he was dead but went to dig him out and realised he was still alive.

i added meth blue to the tank and put him a breeding/sick net at the top of the tank to keep him safe, he ate a little that night and things were looking up.

he escaped out of the net that night (tank is well covered luckily), the next morning he was at the bottom of the tank hiding under bog wood. he came out of his shell and was seen swimming around, eating like the others, all seemed good.

over the last week or two he has hid nearly all the time. i rarely see him. there are many places to hide in the tank so hard to know where he is. i keep thinking he's dead as i rarely see him eat (live food, flake, frozen bloodworms etc) but i just saw him lurking in the corner (last sighting was 2-3days ago).

what can i do for him if anything? his 2 females are fine and the trio of g.nigeriatum are going well too.

thanks.

Have you a small tank that you can put just the trio in?

Use a bunch of java moss in with them, both as a security thing and also, when they settle down, an egg recepticle.

I have them in 200 x 200 x 300mm tanks

Hi Alan,

Yes i have 2 tanks (one 28L, the other 100L+), but have a female guppy in there at the moment thats acting weird (she looks like she's drunk, swimming sideways, head down/up), should i put them in there with her?

I'm not sure either which females are the australe gold and which are the g.nigeriatum. how can i distinguish between the two please?

Thanks.

Check the shape of the dorsal fin.

The australe are shorter on the leading edge and longer on the back.

The nig, are rounded on top.

Depends what your guppy actually has wrong with it.

I'd put her into a floating ice-cream container in your bigger tank.

Clean out the small tank, and put the australes in there, with some java moss.

Use 50% water that they are in and 50% new, equalise the temperatures so that that mix of water is the same temp as the tank.

Make sure that the small tank has a CLOSE FITTING LID.

They jump.

• 2 weeks later...

since taking out the australe golds they seem a lot happier. the weird thing was though that since i took out the austale golds, the g.nigeriatum trio started to be very quiet also to the point where i hardly saw the male any more.

i decided i'd put them in with the other killies and got the male and one female out 2 days ago and finally the other female (after ages, she is really quick!) yesterday.

They all seem fine in the small tank, is it ok for them all to be together? How do things work out as far as breeding goes? One or two females look a little bulgy at present.

thanks.

oh ok. the tank they all were in had many places to hide and theres a layer of java fern at one end to block light a bit, i have a few gouramis in the community tank and they're not so fond of bright light.

in the new tank which is just the 6 killies now, theres some java moss, java fern and a cave, would that be enough? is it best to have them in there alone and swimming around together or hiding in the community tank and rarely seen?! i know what i'd rather.

thats what i'm trying to work out. as you can see earlier in this post i was advised to put the australe golds in a separate tank and now they seem quite happy...

i thought the g.nigeriatum needed the same thing possibly as they became very very shy also.

Everyone has their own wayof doing things but what I do is keep males and females seperate and only put them together when they are ready to spawn because the males are heavy drivers. A well planted tank with various types of males is a pretty spectacular thing.