Timer to turn off for a set time??

richms

Wondering if there is anything that I can dial up to like 10 mins, and it will kill the power to the filters for that length of time. Its quite annoying to feed the fish and watch it go straight into the filter intake, and now I have one at each end of the tank I cant just feed them at the end with no filter. So want to kill the power when feeding, but don't trust myself to remember to turn it back on, or to not go out if I set a manual egg timer to remind me to turn back on.

Any pointers? I have seen countdown clockwork plug in timers at bunnings but they make the thing run for the time, not turn it off. although a mod may be possible I don't want to get to gut it to find that it cant be...

what about a feeding ring... to do it DIY get a pit of airline tube, get a joiner and a suction cup for it (less than $1 from Lfs) joing the airline into a circle and use the suction cup to stick it where u want to and it wont move and you flake will stay in side it untill it sinks and even then the filter wont get it...

yes you could use one of those digital timers. you would also need to hide it away somewhere where its not going to be bumped/played with, incase it turned your filter off for a day or longer. if you are running 2 filters then just put it on one to be safe, and feed at that end

I got an electrical RTA timedelay unit (Miniature circuit breaker sized) and have installed in into a DSE zippy box. Got an extension lead and cut it in half and ran it through the timer unit. With a simple little toggle switch, I interrupt the power to the unit for a moment which introduces the starting time delay (which is able to be set from a .1 sec to 100 hrs) after the time has elapsed it turns the item back on through some n/c contacts. I have mine set to approx 9 mins so its ample time for the food to be eaten. The extension lead has a 4 way powerboard plugged in which supplies two ar-380's. So have the pump and heater for each unit plugged in. Also handy at water change time so that i just isolate the supply to the relay and no worries about forgetting any heaters etc.

Hope that was reasonably clear and if need be just PM me for more details.

I have just the thing on my garden lights - an Arlec digital timer. Plugs into the socket.

It is capable of turning on and off up to six times a day seven days a week. Once set, you can turn it off manually anytime with the press of a button When finished just press the button again and none of the settings are lost. Very handy! Think I got it from Mitre 10 or Warehouse or somewhere cheap.