Twisted Val allowed Waikato?

Lady-Lene

Ring your Regioal Council. They can tell you if they have any restrictions which are spacific to your local area. The problem is sometimes their knowledge of aquatic plants is not too good so they would need to be clear on what type of Val they are talking about.

V. spiralis refers to the corkscrew-type flower stem, NOT the twisted leaves.

The twisted one is V. americana var. "Biwaensis", which is why somebody with limited knowledge may think its V. americana and thinks it is illegal.

Very hard when nobody uses Latin names properly.

The twisted one is V. americana var. "Biwaensis", which is why somebody with limited knowledge may think its V. americana and thinks it is illegal.

V. americana is the same species as V. gigantea (common name: jungle val) and since the banning of plants is based on species and not variety then V. americana var. "Biwaensis" (common name: corkscrew val) would also be illegal.

V. sp "Contortionist" is similar to "Biwaensis" in appearance (both have the twisted leaves) but would be legal as it is a different species. (see plantgeek link).

I believe that V. torta is the true twisted val (see http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/plants/plant_deal.htm)

The name Twisted Val is usually given to V. torta, V. sp "Contortionist" and V. americana "Biwaensis" as usually the LFS can't tell them apart.

V. gigantea is not hard to pick because it is bloody gigantic. I used to sell it to the shops before it got made a noxious weed and it would arrive cut back to over 2 metres in length and the leaves were 25-40mm wide. I think V. americana can be as long but is no where near as wide in the leaf. As I understand it spiralis has a straight leaf and spiralling flower stem as stated. I think the plants in NZ are female and propagate vegetatively but I understand there is also a male plant.

Why I suggested you ring your Regional Council is that they are able to put additional restrictions on some plants in their particular location if they they think they are a local problem. In other words they could be restricted only in that area rather than nationally.