can guppys re-grow their fins?

tukituki

i have a community tank with several guppies (3 males, 6 females); 6 killifish, 6 zebra danios, 4 gouramis (2 dwarf), 5 corydoras and 5 bristlenose.

a few weeks ago one of the male guppies was brutally attacked, his entire flowing tail fin was reduced to a stump and he was hiding at the bottom of our metre long tank. i'm not sure who is to blame for this...

i took him out to a smaller tank (no other fish) thinking he'd have to be put down... a day or so later he seemed to be learning to swim with his stump.

its now a few weeks later and he's looking a lot healthier and it seems as if his flowing tail fin is growing, is this possible?! or is it just he's feeling better and has learnt to live without it?

thanks.

the community tank is heavily planted with many caves etc. i don't want it to happen to him again, he was so distraught when i got him out a few weeks ago... i might wait til he's a bit stronger, give him a few weeks?

Often a fish will become the 'victim' in a tank. I had a male swordtail that began to be picked on my another male sword and when he showed signs of weakness the others started to bully him too. If u do put him back in make sure he is healthy and that u keep an eye on him.

Good luck with him!!! :lol:

its likely he was the victim, he was the smallest male guppy and seemed to be a bit of a loner. i think i might leave him in safety until he's strong or else provide him with a friend of another species.

the gouramis that were in the tank at the time of the attack were a pair of dwarf gouramis (a pair of pearl gouramis are now in the community). the male of the dwarf's seems a bit territorial but only with the male pearl.