Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hex tank

Featured Replies

Volume of a hexagon is approx side length (squared) x 2.6 x height.

So if your tank is 20cm per side and 60cm deep

20 x 20 x 2.6 x 60 = 62400 cc = 62.4 litres (aprox)

But remember that taller tanks will generally hold less fish because they have less surface area than a long shallow tank.

Anyway that will give you a good estimate to work from anyway.

Cheers

Ian

  • Author

Thanks guys.

According to my calculations, I would be pushing to house even one fish.

I may just make a fishless nano garden out of it. It's just under 2g us.

2g thats about..........

........................................

..................................................

8 L i think

you may be able to get away with a few small fish

Use it as a Guppy breeding tank. :D

Just drop in 2 nice guppies, they will be OK in that size tank.

WHEN they drop fry (they will) take the adults out. Once the fry have outgrown the tank they will be big enough to handle a community tank, and the adults will be ready to spawn again.

Repeat untill you are over run with guppies :roll:

Cheers

Ian

  • Author

Jayci said:

Start with an empty tank and full it up with a 10 bucket. Count the number of buckets it took to fill.

I don't use buckets to fill my tanks, they tend to be to messy.

Not only that it would appear I didn't make myself very clear in my post.

The tank was set up about a month ago, now cycled and ready for inhabitants.

It's got some florapol under an inch of substrate. Even though I've not put any plants in yet I don't really want to undo everything.

A good idea just the same, I filled it with a one litre jug and wrote down how many litres went into it, but I can't find the peace of paper I wrote it on. (silly me).

Markoshark suggested:

tiny tank to house baby fishies would be cool

This sounds ok, but would it really be ideal for juviniles?

Or a few neons

Personally I think it's to small for a schoal of neon's, and I already have some in a 10g with some glowlights.

Wilson said:

was thinking maybe a group of guppies (3)

and maybe a betta

that might work but you will need do do a few extra water changes

The tank does have a filtration unit, extra water changes won't be a problem, will test the water perameters every or second day if need be.

Guppies and a betta, mmmm, would they be compatible in a small environment?

Would this work with a male betta?

Or should I choice between one or the other.

Or should I put my mygiver skills to work and have it running off a bigger tank therefore making the surface volume larger.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.