Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

DIY Moonlights

Featured Replies

Step two: COMPLETE.

Step three: soldering LEDs in parallel: COMPLETE.

Step four: Attaching LEDs to canopy with epoxy: COMPLETE.

Step five: Wait until sun down...

Verdict: needs about double the amount of LEDs!

It's a very eerie light right now, almost dark and you can sometimes barely make out a fish. Blue is definitely the right colour though.

Okay, it seems I have wired it up all wrong :lol:

LEDs are supposed to be in series, not in parallel. Back to Jaycar, to thank them for their lovely advice and heaps of stuff they sold me, and to get a completely different adapter, and more LEDs.

If you want info on how to properly wire up LEDs, this page is quite nice:

http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/Ligh ... gLEDs.html

They can be installed either way, the critical thing is having the voltage right. All in parallel on about 3.5-3.7(iirc) volt or series of 3-4 on 12 volt so that each sees the correct voltage.

The reason for putting them in series is that it helps limit the current if you get the voltage too high so you don't blow them.

Oh yeah, I see. Good explanation. I've just returned from the shop and spent about $80 on LED strips that take 12V. You can chain them as long as you have enough mA to support them. It's a bit more expensive, but should be heaps easier to install. I'll follow that Instructable that I linked up earlier, with the addition of a dimmer (potentiometer) so I can regulate the brightness of the LEDs.

Yeah, works a treat, that Instructable.

I ended up using and paying:

- 10 x "12VDC Flexible Strip with 3 SM LEDs- Blue" at $7.50 each

- 1 x "24MM POTENTIOMETER LOG SINGLE GANG (A)" at $2.70

- 2m of audio (speaker) cable at $0.30

- 1 x little plastic box to put the potentiometer in at $3.50

- 1 x 20VCD adaptor at $20

- 1 x timer for the mains plug at $4.00

- some glue from the glue gun, solder...

TOTAL: $105.50 and about 4 hours of DIY geekdom

For that price you can buy one in the shop, of course. I did have heaps of fun building it. I'll post a pic soon.

With both lights on, full strength.

tank_4.jpg

Only blue LEDs, full strength. Doesn't really come across...

tank_5.jpg

In retrospect, I might have benefitted from mixing white with blue LEDs. This is quite blue. It's cool though, it a "thousands of miles below the sea" sort of way. :wink:

Oh and the dimmer is definitely a bonus. I've just set it to the lowest possible setting, and the fish are really relaxed, slowly checking out the tank. It's very hypnotic sitting in the dark with that pale blue light and slow moving fish.

Oh yeah, they look good at first sight. And cheap!

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5111

I was thinking more like this one

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8345

looks to be a bit more finished then some of the others. Hard to tell from the pics, They shipping is quick tho so if its no good you just order some other one and put what you got up on trademe, and usually sell for more then you paid ;)

I was thinking more like this one

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8345

looks to be a bit more finished then some of the others. Hard to tell from the pics, They shipping is quick tho so if its no good you just order some other one and put what you got up on trademe, and usually sell for more then you paid ;)

just brought one so will be able to tell ya what it is like in a week maybe :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.