Neon Tetra Fry

Kiwi Girl

Just wondering if anyone has managed to take a pic of neon tetra fry.

I know the basic's of how to breed them and care for them but would very much like to see something more graphic (If at all possable).

And how many weeks do they need to be kept in darkness for.

Any form of information would be apprieciated

Hi there,

Went on a search around and found the following

Edit - Alan,

Removed URL as pic is below and it also was entered wrongly.

Go to this site, its in German or something, right down the bottom there are some pics of Glowlight tetra fry (Hemigrammus erythrozonus). I guess they look very similar to neon tetra fry, actually i think alot of egg-layer fry look similar.

Hi kiwigirl, I'd keep the tank totally dark for 5-7 days then gradually start letting light in. Start by feeding greenwater/infusoria after 48 hrs when they are free swimming and have used up their egg sack. Fresh rainwater and boiled peat often triggers them to spawn :)

Hi Kiwi Girl,

I'm a bit slow on this one.

The reason for blacking out the tank is the eggs and pre-free swim fry are so sensitive to light it can/will kill them, however once the fry are at free swimming stage it is fine to remove covers 4 to 5 days depending on temp.

The fry of most tetra's have large mouths for their size and are able to take new hatched bbs as soon as they're at the free swim stage.

If feed well with plenty of small daily water changes (taking them from rain to tap water, to avoid neon disease) they will be fully coloured somewhere around 4-6 weeks and be 1cm long.

An old timer who was breeding neons many many moons ago said although they do not pair up like cichlid some fish breed better to gether then others - something to do with compatibility and to think about if spawns are poor.

100 - 120 fry per spawn is considered excellent compared to say black neons @ 500 fry and flame tetra @ 900 fry.

Good luck

Thanks guys, I have peat in the filter of my neon tank, my gh is about 4-5dgh so thats cool. It's been 3 wks since the eggs have hatched and I definatly have something glowing in my fry tank. Looking through a magnifying glass and using a torch to see. Still hard to see though as torch is not a strong one. What colour should they they be the shiny glow I can see, some are a goldish colour some white, some bigger than others.

Feeding a combination of liquifry, microworms and just made up a batch of brine shrimp.

And no the shiny things are not the microworms. What I'm looking at is more like a micro sized glowing orb.

Can someone tell me if that is neon fry or something else

baby neons look like any other eggs laying fish prior to colour forming (a fine slither of glass) whether it be a Betta, Danio, barbs etc.

That is the are like the picture above posted by Chazza404.

The "thing" your've mentioned does not sound like fish fry to me, however it can be hard to see fry sometimes. One trick used is to feed very small amounts of bbs and look in the tank 5 - 10 min later, the belly's of the fry will be bright orange with bbs.

thanks for that, I am hoping I have fry in there mind you I also have poor eyesight and the glow maybe all I can see, depending on the angle, but will most definataly check with in five minutes after feeding the shrimp. It is a very bright glow I can see and only the odd one as I have been told they will hide and will only start coming out further toward the front of the tank from about now as they start to get a bit more game.

The first colour that attracted me to the fact that I had baby neons was the blue.

Stu was in the room when I first saw them.

OK, only two, but about a week ago the trio that I had went wild in the mass of tangled indian fern.

So thick that you can only see half way thru the tank.

Well I went out 3 days ago and saw that the heater was glowing red.

OK, I was early and the lights were out at this stage as I was going to torch the tank.

Alas, I almost burnt my hand in the water.

Of course,

heater one

Tetras zip.

Then to top it off, I missed out on getting to see Origin Aquatic when we went north the other day.

Oh well, another tank to clean and set up for guppies, or maybe even killies, but definately neons again at a later date..

Could you see the eggs?? if you could you should be able to see the fry.

Do be honest I was to scared to shine any form of light into the tank at that particular time, but know for a fact that there was nothing shining in the tank prior to spawning the neons.

Would a bright tank light be ok, to check?

Sorry Rogan, was it you?

Did I show a slight elevation of delight when I saw them?

If so, then it was you that was with me.

Forgive me if I was wrong, sometimes it is a bit hard to recall what I did in the morning, littleown a month ago.

One trick used is to feed very small amounts of bbs and look in the tank 5 - 10 min later, the belly's of the fry will be bright orange with bbs.

Feed the fry tank 10mins ago with bbs and saw little bright orange glowing things suspended in the water just hovering there, in different locations, about 10 is what I saw.

Could these be neon fry?

It sounds like it but couldn't be sure.

Keep feeding bbs and in only a short time you will know as they grow and colour up.

I really hope it is neon fry, will certainly keep feeding the bbs to the fry, along with microworms and liquafry, at different times of the day.

I did notice that when I looked through the side of the tank they looked longer and when looking through the front they look like little orbs.

It's all very exciting, will keep you posted.

Cheers