Rainbow fish

snookie

Yeah they are bossy, especially Bosemani and Incisus Red Rainbows, however, I have kept them before and that has never put me off. They just niggle amongst themselves normally, unless of course you are keeping the one then that one will find something in the tank to annoy. Well worth keeping tho snookie.

They are always on the go and beautiful splash of colour... often used in African tanks as dithers.

Hmm trying to recall the one at National Aquarium.. have a brain blockage tonight :lol: They do have some large Bosemani in the Crocodile Tank :D And the croc doesn't seem interested.

Oh and your question...for Bosemani:

Water parameters:

pH: neutral to alkaline (7.0-8.0)

Hardness: soft to moderate (3-15)

Temperature: 23-28oC.

:D

well i like the Bosemani,madagascan, reds ,blues,neon, etc...

stocking levels ? where do i begin !

going to be with a 12inch (ish) fire eel ,

so neon rainbows may be a no no :-? (i can still like them though ) :P

may need a small cleaning crew also, thinking pair bristle nose ,or somthing a bit more flash :wink:

tank 6ft x2 x2

Ooo yes snookie go flash :D :lol:

Yeah the Dwarf Neons might be a rather tasty meal for your fire eel... I wouldn't risk it. The Bosemani etc get quite big, the ones that are in the Croc tank at the National Aquarium are very deep bodied and rather large. Real beauties.

now how many in a shoal? definetly want Bosemani and madagascan,

but would like a couple of other species as well for colour contrast. my tank has a black back so will look great imo :roll:

any suggestions on cleaning crew ? (dont want clumsy poohing machines )

no offence :D )

Yeah well considering you want plants, the pooing machine would be a bad option :lol: I keep Flash and Iquito Plecs and they don't touch my plants, infact, they seem to prefer meat based foods I have found. Cochilodon Plecs (Rusty or Bruno Plec common name) are nice and slow growing but they would possibly munch your plants. I have one in a non planted tank simply for that reason. There are a few Plecs out there (fancy ones) so shop around :D

Yellow Rainbows are nice, Macculloch's Rainbows are stunning when they mature. Blue Rainbows are nice to.

Here is a good link:

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Contents.htm

thanks very informative web site :D ,

heaps of rainbows :bounce: :bounce:

how many to shoal im thinking between 5 and 10 ?

i want tank to look busy but not overcrowed if you know what i mean .

dont think i will be going to flash on plants java fern, moss , vals ,swords etc .

Oh cool 8) Crypts are a good one to and easy care imo :)

Ummm they are going into a pretty big tank huh? I would have a reasonable amount of rainbows...

Are you sticking with one species or more than one?

The higher percentage that get imported in are males with the Bosemani, Red Rainbows etc but the odd female comes in aswell from time to time :D

any suggestions on cleaning crew ? (dont want clumsy poohing machines )

Clown loaches!! I've never had a problem keeping eels with loaches, and they would definatly add colour to the tank. Get a group of around 6-10 in that sized tank.