Hatching brineshrimp

Chris.L

The way I hatch them is in a soft drink bottle - I personally cut the neck of the bottle off at about the 'shoulder' of the bottle (others I have seen leave the lid on and cut out the bottom instead). Put some regular tap water in and then clamp inside one of your tanks (that way you don't have to have a seperate heater) add the salt (roughly about 3tsp per litre), an airline (that goes right to the bottom of the container) and brineshrimp eggs.

In one or two days you should be ready to harvest - I then remove the airline, take the bottle out of the tank and sit it somewhere by a light source (the shrimp are attracted to the light and concentrate themselves close the the light) then syphon or syringe them out.

Bits and pieces to note:

Having the hatchery in a heated tank speeds up the hatching.

I haven't had any problems hatching the eggs just using rock salt or sea salt from the supermarket - other people claim they only get good results when using sea water.

If you're wanting to raise the shrimp to adults you will have to use sea water or an artificial seawater mix you can't raise the adults using just some salt chucked into water.