Dwarf Gourami. Help please!!!(now photos)

Dixon1990

I don't know what it is but I've a suggestion if you don't have any spare tanks - get a 1 1/2 or 2 litre coke or lemonade bottle, cut the top off and peg it to the inside of your tank if you can, pop the fish and water inside. It works like a quarantine area, but is a bit hard to do if the tanks have those ledge things on the inside at the top. Otherwise see if you can float something else in your tank for a bit.

Theres bound to be someone here who knows whats likely to be up with it anyway.

Its really up to you. Depends what you're adding to your water. I have kept fighters for up to four weeks (new fish in quarrantine) without airlines as they are air breathers but its a good idea to change the water regularly to keep it clean. All the bottles really doing is just keeping the fish out of the main tank and they don't seem to stress nearly as much as removing completely.

I think its getting a bit better :D But it now looks like several bitemarks around the size of my male dwarf gourami's mouth and its weird long things that it touches things with a lot shorter than normal. Is it normal for opposite sex dwarf gourami's to fight each other?

I think its getting a bit better :D But it now looks like several bitemarks around the size of my male dwarf gourami's mouth and its weird long things that it touches things with a lot shorter than normal. Is it normal for opposite sex dwarf gourami's to fight each other?

The weird long things are fins, very sensitive ones.

Have the males built nests? Males will be really ugly towards others when they are building their nest. They ease up a little when they allow the female to come over and release eggs...after that he goes back to being nasty, and can kill the female if she is left in there.

The soft drink bottle for isolation container is a good one.

Not if she/he's been bitten by another fish but if it is a disease and or infection yes. She will be stressed in the bottle but if you have nowhere else to put her and don't want to risk her in the tank then its probably the lesser of two evils.

First of all the gourami is NOT a female - he is a male - females are grey/silver only.

second I believe that they are bitemarks - could be from the other gourami, could be from another fish. the one bite on its own will heal on its own - but the colour won't come back into it - the others are a bit deeper so will need to be watched for fungi. - I have had similar marks like the indiviual mark and did nothing - the fish survived.

I would suggest if there are fish fighting you may need to have more areas for them to "hide" try putting more plants in espically those that grow to the surface - or have some plants floating on the surface - this would help them build their bubble nests which they will do even without a female present. - keeps them occupied and will stop any aggression.

I wouldn't treat it with anything if it is otherwise acting normally. Keep an eye out for secondary fungal infection though and keep the water quality as good as you can and it should heal itself. If it does develop a fungus around the wound, treat with anti fungal med.

that is the case for some gourami but not for the dwarf gourami, - in the case of the dwarf gourami it comes down to colour - males have all the colour females have none or very little.

Males can be blue, red or striped but the females (if you can find them), are all grey/silver.

Occassionally you will find a female in petshops but not very often as they don't sell, therefore the importers don't bring them in.