Demasoni's in a community tank

burgo

^^ As ryan said. They should't go together. Different water parameters and agression levels. Frys is best kept to grow with themselves/same species or with other frys of the same water parameters. In this case frys from malawi.

Hi

Not to repeat what everyone else had said but not a good idea.

I think before you look at purchasing any sort of fish, cichlids or what ever, you should do a bit of reseach re water conditions, food etc.

All you are doing is causing suffering for the poor fellows.

Half the fun of owning fish is reading about them and researching them.

Mike :)

I have done that before smidey but not in with the big boys.. I have had older juvs growing on in a tank and had a new batch of fry spat, however growing on juvs were too big to mingle with newbies, so have put them in a breeding trap that has had very fine mesh and put in grow out tank... however with adults of any kind, you might find they will harass the young fry through the trap mesh or grill and cause them damage.

I do it in a tank with the big boys.. But ive got a vege bin from a fridge that I spent ages (and broke a few tiny drill bits) drilling tiny little holes in the bottom.. Even though ive stripped and tumbled babies in there haven't lost any from fish sucking them through I think if they're kept moving and the holes are small enough its alright and its big enough for them to grow to an alright size too. I regularly stick my male bristlenose in there complete with his ship and egg's and then strip a few batches of babies in there..

Mesh on the other hand is a disaster.. I remember catching a fish and stripping the babies into a really fine net, i stripped the first lot and then gave her a break looked back in the net to find all the babies had been mushed..

Cheers for all the advice.

I was aware that putting them in a community tank was probablly not a good idea but I didnt want them getting eaten. I thought maybe as young they would be okay. I had not thought about adding an extra container to the tank, So thank-you for that idea as I will go with that.

Hi

Not to repeat what everyone else had said but not a good idea.

I think before you look at purchasing any sort of fish, cichlids or what ever, you should do a bit of reseach re water conditions, food etc.

All you are doing is causing suffering for the poor fellows.

Half the fun of owning fish is reading about them and researching them.

Mike :)

& making educated changes, calculated risks or experimenting a litle to grow new knowledge.