Who uses a UV Filter for green water

Karen

I would like to hear from anyone who is using a uv filter/steriliser either part time to keep the algae (green water) away or full time users.

I have tried covering my tank for seven days, and 50% water changes every couple of days. These two in conjunction did help a little but not for long. I have used algae rid which worked for me in a previous tank, but not this time

I recently added a product call "Green - X" (phosphate remover) to my 404 fluval media with no sucess.

In an effort to rid my tank off this fluro green algae I am now prepared to spend up.

The tank dimensions 1300 long x650mm high x 500 mm wide.

The tank has recently set up with new plants etc 6 weeks ago and houses 3 discus and 15 rummy nose.

PH, nitrate and amonia readings ok.

Water temp 30 c

im using a uv as of a week ago and would say they are worth every penny they cost..... i had cloudy water for months and turns out it was a algae bloom....... got a uv and 3 days tank is crystal now...... my zapper is a 24watt bulb and does upto 400ltr tank and cost arount the $130 and its just plug and play (no plumming needed)...... well worth the investment

I had green water a few months ago and boy did it get bad..you can hardly see the fish in the tank and when something swims by it's hard to tell whether it was a cardinal or something else! :P But the UV sterilisers do a great job. I installed one of the pondmaster ones to my canister filter and in about a week it all started to turn crystal clear again. Some people say that it can destroy other good beneficial bacteria as well but so far I am having no regrets. I highly recommend one in the battle of green water. Good Luck! :D

the only time i had a problem with cloudy water was when i setup my 8footer and it cleared itself in about a month and now since then its been sweet. but thats likely to be becuase of the fact that i never have sun shining directly into my room.

If i had known about the UV things when i setup my tank i most likely would have gotten one.

I haven't had green water algae in the tank. It cost about $70 (puts through 800lph) and it runs in my 4ft along with a cf1200 and a powerhead 200lph.

Am seriously thinking of loaning it to another 4ft tank I have where there seems to be some sort of white? algae bloom.

Algae and plants compete for the available nitrates and other chemical goodies that are in the water. When you have too much light and nitrates then the algae can go out of control

So reduce the amount you are wasting when feeding the fish

Get a BN or 3 for the inside of the tank

Cut the amount of direct sunlight.

=

Clear water

I bought a uv filter, ages ago, I only ever used it when setting up a tank to be sure that I wasn't starting off with a bacterial soup.

Haven't used it in years now...

Oh if only I knew then what I know now.....

Algae and plants compete for the available nitrates and other chemical goodies that are in the water. When you have too much light and nitrates then the algae can go out of control

Also require CO2, if your using a gas heater it can increase the CO2 in your room throwing out the balance in the tank.