Question for electronics type like Layton

wasp

I would like to buy this pump, the Nautilus ll, but have a question about adaptability to our mains power.

http://www.innovativeaquatics.com/

I emailed the vendor & said our power is 240 volts what is required to adapt the pump to run on our power? He replied that all I need to do is get an adapter to reduce power to either 9 or 12 volts DC, which he said "should be fine". Nothing was mentioned about amperage or wattage.

I just found this a little vague, and wondered if someone with more knowledge than me in electronics can advise what I'd need to do to get this pump running here.

It would be good to know how many amps the device draws @12v, then you can size the power supply appropriately. It probably draws less than 1 amp, which means you can power it from a 'wall wart' adaptor from Dick Smith.

But it would be good to check how many amps it draws. Having a power supply capable of supply more amps isn't a problem, it will only supply what the device needs.

Cheers

Ian

I'd suggest contacting Stan a reefdosingpumps.com and ask him specifically what the power requirements are in terms of voltage, current and also frequency if the pump motors are synchronous rather than geared DC.

Unusual timing. I've just sent some prototypes of a dosing unit I designed a couple of weeks ago off to china for manufacturing. Should arrive next week all going to plan. Found some nice compact OEM pumps to use:

pump.jpg

I'm looking at a TEC III style unit, but with a little more advanced control, inbuilt dosing calculators etc.

Layton

If it's 9~12V DC I'd definitely recommend trying to get your hands on an old computer and grabbing the PSU. I ran fans on a simple adapter (albeit on a timer) and the adapter died leaving my tank to boil. The adapter also meant that (although you can adjust voltage) that it just pumps out 100% of whatever its set to, whereas a PC PSU should only give as is drawn (not sure how it works, but my fans were a little slower and MUCH quiter with the PSU).

You do need to jump-start the PSU to get it going though: instructions here. I don't know about the paper clip though, I went with insulated wire :)

Wow, thanks for all the help guys! I'm surrounded by experts of every kind! :lol:

Drifty you made me realise it's simple. The Americans presumably buy it and plug it straight in, so if I use a Dick Smith adapter to US voltage, that should be all I need, as you say. In fact I already have one of these. How do you find your pump? Will it genuinely turn up to 800 mls per hour? That is what I want.

Layton, that pump you are getting made, what time frame, and is it adjustable doseage? If so, how much $$$?

And you other guys, thanks for that, greater minds than me all of you! (Not saying much) :lol:

However if Drifty is running his on the 110 volt adapter, that must be the way to go, I don't know how the vendor got into this 12 volt stuff, must have been something lost in the translation.

Just one thing I want to clarify as I'm trying to be energy efficient, the pump is described as 7 watts. The Dick Smith adapter I have has written on it 210 ma max. Will the whole thing still only draw 7 watts, or will it chug out at whatever the maximum is the adapter will use?

my pump has been great and kept my cal/alk levels spot on for over a year, however I had issues with the tubing and have since taken it off. I have also moved in the last 2 weeks and my tank has been split up into two systems in the garage, when I finally move it into the lounge in 4 months time I will hook it back up again

Layton, that pump you are getting made, what time frame, and is it adjustable doseage? If so, how much $$$?

Similar style to this http://www.grotech.de/ENGLISH/index.php?c=1&s=teciiing but the control electronics will be a little smarter, so you can have the option of entering test results, your target levels, and it can calculate how much to dose daily, plus any one off dosing to get levels up initially. Two / three independent dosing channel, with variable mL/hr delivery.

It will be a little more expensive than the reefdosingpumps.com models, not quite as much as the grotech.

I'll have something working in about 2 weeks, but realistically it's at least three / four months away from being in a state to sell as a unit, some parts have quite long delivery lead times too.

You're probably after something now though.

Yes I want something a little sooner, and I know a 3 month target date can spin out to 6 months etc....

But let us all know once it's on the market I may just get one anyway for something else!

Will it run on NZ mains?

Drifty, you say you had trouble with the tube. Was that the high volume tube? The vendor claims it is good for 3 years, although the 2 channel tube only good for 6 months.

Would like to hear back on that before making the actual purchase.

and I know a 3 month target date can spin out to 6 months etc....

Sure can. That's why I wasn't planning on mentioning it until it was all ready to go.

Will it run on NZ mains?

International 12 volt DC supply. So it will work in any country, on any mains voltage / frequency out of the box.

I would double check the spinny thing to see how it works. My one has little rollers which some others don't have. This reducers the ware and tear on the tubes.

I have some that just rub over the tube compared to some that roll over it.

Hope that makes sense.

yeah mine was the 2 channel tube. I had the unit for a year before the alarm started to go off all the time and it would stop dosing, sometimes it would go off 5 times in a day. I was thinking it was the tubing but could have been the doser which was the problem

Well that makes sense, he says the 2 channel tubes are good for 6 months, so after 12 months you could expect some problems.

I'm OK with that, at least it is what he claims.

Has it got roller things as per TMs posts?

• 2 weeks later...

Well thanks all for the great advice, I ordered the Nautilus & it arrived today. Got it running on a transformer from Dick Smith, and alls well.

Had a play with it & really like it! It has battery backup so you can unplug it & it just keeps going! Nice digital display panel and very simple to program how much you want it to dose.

I've hooked it up to the calcium reactor, as the other pump that was on it was a bit feeble and would vary depending on back pressure. I think this pump is going to make the reactor really hum! :D

yeah mine was the 2 channel tube. I had the unit for a year before the alarm started to go off all the time and it would stop dosing, sometimes it would go off 5 times in a day. I was thinking it was the tubing but could have been the doser which was the problem

Hey Drifty, I've been reading the instructions & think I may have diagnosed your problem.

The Nautilus is a refurbished medical pump. It has a maximum dose function, that can be programed that you set some maximum dose, then once that is hit the pump stops and the alarm sounds. It is recommended not to use this feature for reef purposes, it is designed so in a hospital they can ensure they don't overdose somebody with something.

This is the only reason the alarm would go off, if the maximium dose has been hit.

So what must have happened, you must have accidentally hit the maximum dose button, and unknowingly programmed in some maximum dose. Then every time it is hit, the pump will stop and the alarm go off. You will need to turn the maximum dose feature off.

Do you still have the instructions, if not I will send you a copy.