Ideas on where to get rocks?

Jasmine

I usually go with - if it’s from fresh water, its probably safe. But I'm not sure what that would be up with all of your volcanoes...

Either way I'd defiantly boil it to clean it off if its from under the water and has aglae etc on it, otherwise I don't think its such a biggy :)

well if its from the ocean make sure you get it from the middle of the beach.. not the ends where the sewage pipes etc enter the ocean.

also if its freshwater theres going to be some bugs so its best to boil the rocks, you can also find them around mountains etc, rocks like schist are what ya want

Thanks guys.

What are some good places around the Auckland area to get rocks? We were debating going to Rangitoto but after seeing ferry prices, decided against.

$20 is well worth it on a nice day, the view from the top is awesome and the hike up takes less than an hour.

As for rocks tho, you'll only find black scoria, and I don't think they'll be very happy about you taking some big chunks home.

Dont be a tight a$$ and go somewhere like stone and water world where you'll have a heap to choose from and won't have to worry about being chased by doc workers or angry gardeners. ;)

$20 is well worth it on a nice day, the view from the top is awesome and the hike up takes less than an hour.

As for rocks tho, you'll only find black scoria, and I don't think they'll be very happy about you taking some big chunks home.

Dont be a tight a$$ and go somewhere like stone and water world where you'll have a heap to choose from and won't have to worry about being chased by doc workers or angry gardeners. ;)

Hard not to be a tight a$$ when you're barely paying the rent :/ That's why it's taken me many months to finally get a tank up and running (believe I was wanting the tank since early November). I'll check it out anyways tho...

you're back jasmine!!!

Haha. Yes, yes I am. And I actually have a couple of fish (finally) in my tank! A few months later, but I got there eventually :P Got a couple of electric blues to cycle the tank just Thursday last week.

well while we are on the subject of getting things for the tanks cheep, where would you go to get drift wood,

yes the easy answer is straight off the beach or straight from the river bed (more than likely ive just answered my own question) but if i was to get it straight from there, what do you have to do to it? treat it? or just pressure wash it hard out>?