Newbie question on Clown Loaches

Haizel

Hi,

Got an AR8??? tank, 5 Harlequins, 3 Gold Barbs, handful of neon tetras, 4 Black Widows and a solitary fat platty, 2 borneo suckers and 3 danios. Saw some small clown loaches at Jansens on Sunday, never seen them before and they look great and I want some. Think I have plenty of room in my tank, which is very well cycled and been problem free for ages. Info at Jansens said Clowns like to shoal and I should get at least 3!

Is this right, I think they can grow quite big, do I really need to get 3 as I think this will be too many for my tank (which I do plan to upgrade to an AR980? - if anyone knows any second-hand ones around).

ta,

Got 4 Borneo Suckers 2 years ago and got 2 left, 2 disappearred very recently. They seem fine, share time in slack water, on the plants and on the pump outlet. One crawled up it recently right into the filter and it was hell getting it out.

Sounds like my tank is too small for 6 Clown Loaches, but 6 seems excessive?

Got 4 Borneo Suckers 2 years ago and got 2 left, 2 disappearred very recently. They seem fine, share time in slack water, on the plants and on the pump outlet. One crawled up it recently right into the filter and it was hell getting it out.

Sounds like my tank is too small for 6 Clown Loaches, but 6 seems excessive?

i got 3 of them and they only came out a few times a day, i went back the next day and got another 2 and they were happy as and spent all day chasing each other around the tank. iv had them in my 8ft tank for almost a year now and they only hide at night when they sleep and will eat food out of my hand!

i only started off with 1 as i only wanted it to get rid of all the snails that came with plants and drift wood that i had brough, and it was fine on its own, but then i decided to keep it and now i have 3 and plan on getting a few more.

ok, thanks for all this but would you learned people put 6 Clown Loaches in my tank or not, or how many if 6 is too many.

I really want some, but want to do the right thing, and if you lot say my tank is too small then I won't, but I would have thought I could get some more fish - see my first post.

after the sudden death of a couple of my clown loaches last week, I have been reduced to 2...they seem quite fine and are very active. I will be getting several more as finances allow because a large troop of clowns looks fab.

• 2 weeks later...
Think I have plenty of room in my tank, which is very well cycled and been problem free for ages. Info at Jansens said Clowns like to shoal and I should get at least 3!

Is this right, I think they can grow quite big, do I really need to get 3 as I think this will be too many for my tank

As others have said, 3 is the minimum, six is better. You need to plan your ultimate tank size based on six - having just one is not a long-term solution to a tank that's too small.

They will grow big, but grow fairly slowly. Plan on growth of a couple of cm a year on average, although that will happen in spurts rather than steady growth. But once you get them, you will be committing yourself to getting bigger and bigger tanks for as long as you have them (which may be fifteen years or more! :o )

Make sure you have lots of hiding places where they can get away from you and each other. Mine go through stages of being territorial where one will take over a space and chase anyone who comes close, and other times where they're more social and will all squeeze into one tiny space even though they have plenty of other places to go.

Clown loaches can be a fun and attractive pet, but you do need to be committed to them long term, and prepared to up-size your tank in time.

By the way, I have five clown loaches, of which I've had three for about seven years, and two for about five years. They're in a 4-foot tank and seem fairly comfortable in it. That might give you an idea of planning for the future.

Clown loaches are fun and they are forever hungry :P and will clean up any left over food at the bottom of your tank. I have one that will lift pebbles and it is fun to see him doing that. They take a lot of small sleep during the day and thats when you will find them 'playing death', which is very funny.

One of my loaches become kranky when the water quality is low and will chase other fish around.

They are a good addition to a tropical tank.

I've got six, ranging in size. They're heaps of fun, I drop in about 3-4 ramshorn snails and the loaches just fly out from hiding and race to get their own snail, they'll push, intimidate, race, whatever it takes to get their snail. Cracks me up. Mine are on a diet though, some of them were actually looking physically obese :-?

One thing I will say, is if your tank isn't big enough, its only a problem if you want to keep the loaches forever. It's not very hard to find people who want big clown loaches, I recently paid $70 for one and drove it 7 hours home.

I've also had absolutely no problem with them and plants, even with a sand substrate.

If you decide to keep them forever, you'll need to keep upgrading your tank every few years or so. Oldest I've seen on here was 22 years old, but in the wild apparently they can live up to 80. They can be bred in captivity too, its just not many people have access to clowns that are big enough or the live food required to initiate a spawn.

Also it does take them some time to get used to you, and I recommend lots of caves and dither fish. Mine have become much happier now that they are in with angel fish.

Thanks for all the advice, I got 5 (very small ones) and have now had them for 9 days and they are all fine. Got some more wood and plants and they have loads of little places to hide in. All 5 congregate on one stone I have and just sit there and sometimes play dead, which worried me at first. So, all going well and a larger tank is on its way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I've got a question of my own.

I've got a pair of Clown loaches but they seem to hide for most of the day. I do see them occasionally, but very rarely. :cry:

Is their anything I could do to try and coax them out without getting more for the tank?

My current tank is 3ft (200L).

ummm i have 26 in my 460L

you should see the blood worm feeding frenzy :lol:

Wow that's a lot!!! I don't want my tank to be overstocked though :roll: How big are they and how far away is your bigger tank :wink:

Though it's always exciting buying new fish!!!!

Wow that's a lot!!! I don't want my tank to be overstocked though :roll: How big are they and how far away is your bigger tank :wink:

Though it's always exciting buying new fish!!!!

they are ok size at the moment, i like all my tanks to be overstocked, fish are alot more friendly that way

DSCF0570.jpg

that tank already has 7 discus,3ballon kissing gouramis, 20+cory, 14+Siamese fighters,12+bristlenoses :lol:

Just a question evil_elmo but isn't 14 siamese fighters (or more :o ) asking for trouble? I always thought you shouldn't have more then a couple!!! All, please correct me if Im wrong :bow: but thats what Ive heard and I suppose most people would agree!!! :-? Don't yours live up to thier name??? :-?

Hayley :bounce:

oh i breed them and i just chuck them in to make the tank brighter looking

they all been in for over 1 year now and i havent had any died from fighting, maybe a couple will might kill each other but once you have alot they will get on fine....i have another 50+ to go in soon :lol:

oh i breed them and i just chuck them in to make the tank brighter looking

they all been in for over 1 year now and i havent had any died from fighting, maybe a couple will might kill each other but once you have alot they will get on fine....i have another 50+ to go in soon :lol:

anyone think the same principal would apply with these as africans, more fish to disperse the aggresion. if there is too many to fight with they loose interest