Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Macro Algae??

Featured Replies

Anyone able to help me with this one?

Trying to identify what type of macro algae this is, assuming it is macro algae. Had a look on the web but nothing resembles this one :o

MacroAlgae1a.jpg

MacroAlgae2a.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics :-?

Started poping up around a week ago or so. One central "root" point with may branches. Have about 10-15 shoots around the tank, most are 1-2cm tall. They seem to be able to grow anywhere. I have some growing on the glass??

Thanks muchly :D

It's a baddy I'm afraid.

Those big ones, best plan would be to deal to them now with some boiling water administered with a turkey baster. But also you will not eradicate it completely, you need to keep nutrients right down, plus have something that will eat it. Most fish find it distasteful, but if you only have a small amount they will eat it as it's something different. But if you got quite a bit of it, they won't handle it. A yellow tang will eat it in small doses.

Also, if you have a big area of it and give it the hot water treatment, in a day or two it will lose its colour, and at that point fish find it more palatable, it must lose its taste.

Keep us updated Volkster, there are ways and means to handle these problems if you do not have immediate success.

I have it in my tank, mostly I never see it. But if ever there is a nutrient spike, it shows up. I've accepted it will always be there, but I just have to focus on correct water quality and tank health, and it is not a problem. But it seems to be able to survive in lower nutrient conditions than normal hair algae, and most other algaes.

One advantage, if water quality ever slips, the bryopsis will let me know and force me to take corrective measures. So in that way probably ensures good coral health.

  • Author

Righty-o :-? Pretty much gone from sight, had to scrub some of the rock as siphoning it out wasn't that easy, I think I need to get a thinner siphon and DIY a tooth brush to it...

The Bryopsis algae roots itself fairly well...had to scratch it off in some places; I hope I havn't dispersed the friggin thing :x

:o ....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.