Holiday feeding

sub.z

I don't feed my fish when away for up to 10 days. My tank is very mature, is lightly stocked and heavily planted. A couple of days before I go I make sure the tank gets a water change and the filter is cleaned (though not too much).

NEVER be tempted to overfeed just before you leave. This is a recipe for disaster. Feed the fish as usual. Live foods are even better as they will not drop to the bottom and remain uneaten.

If your tank is not mature and you have big fish they will need feeding. When we were away a month, I went and bought a pill divider from the $2 Shop and put the daily amount required in each compartment and the house sitters fed the fish. Hide all other fish food!

Hiya carol

My tank isnt established with plant etc (besides two) so i dont know if they can rely on that. i havent got anyone house sitting either

Would they be ok for that many days as i dont want any ones to be starved to death

Heres a pic if thats any help

P4150057.jpg

The feeding blocks work but NOT if you have bottom feeders IMO. I lost 2 plecos that got something nasty out of the block. Which doesn't say much for the block but if there is no other option I would say a feeding block would be better than no feed at all.

The feeding blocks work but NOT if you have bottom feeders IMO. I lost 2 plecos that got something nasty out of the block. Which doesn't say much for the block but if there is no other option I would say a feeding block would be better than no feed at all.

might be a chemical that keeps the block stuck together etc. personally i wouldnt feed my fish something that looks like a bit of chalk :lol: