Stocking the new tank

Southerrrngirrl

I'm thinking about and researching stock for the new tank, which is an AR620 (62Wx 38D x 53H) 90 litres.

I really want Khuli Loaches and Honey Gourami's so heres what I thought I could get:

4 x Khuli Loaches

2 x Betta's (female)

2 x Honey Gourami's

4 x Dwarf Neon Gourami's

Of course I wouldn't be adding all these at once, I think I'd start by just getting the two bettas. Does this look ok?? Too much? Or could I get away with adding something else?

The thing with fishkeeping is that nothing is written in concrete,what some people have success with,others have nothing but disaster.In my experience,and from talking to others,mixing betta and gourami is asking for trouble,it may work in a well planted larger tank,but I wouldnt do it in 90ltrs.

As I say,others may well disagree with me,only telling you of my experience.

Kuhlis should be kept in a group of at least 6 IMO,they will be happier this way.Don't forget they really appreciate sand too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ok thanks, thats what I'm after.. opinions and others experiences with mixing types of fish.

Yeah I agree with the khuli thing too, I knew that they would do better in a group of 6 or more, but I was gonna try out 4 to see how it went, cos I really wanted some room for some other fish. And yeah I know about the sand thing too, I have some gravel thats quite fine though so hopefully they won't mind that.

Ok so bettas and gourami's not recommended... I want gourami's more than the bettas so I guess I'll go with them.

• 1 month later...
Ok so bettas and gourami's not recommended... I want gourami's more than the bettas so I guess I'll go with them.

I've got a Betta with 2 pearl gourami and 2 dwarf gourami and they get along wonderfully. I was a bit worried about putting them in but the gourami's keep to themselves really and don't bother my betta.

I do have a 200L tank though, but usually they do swim around in the same areas and don't really chase each other around. I think the most worried I got was with the 2 dwarf gourami chasing each other around (1 male and 1 female).

But it's up to you if you want to give it a go.

Hi Southerngirl

I'm an idiot, disregard the following advice you specified female bettas!

My only fish fatality was a beautiful male betta I put in a well planted 215 ltr AR980 with a dwarf gourami. I know there are exceptions to the rule but most of what I've read and my own experience suggest that male bettas and male dwarf gouramies don't co-habit well.

Regards, TGWH

My experience has tought me not to put fighters in with gourami's male or female, my gourami's are honey gourami's though.

I also discovered the hard way that two female fighters in the same tank did not work either, I had to seperate them before they completly ripped each other to shreds.

I have 1 male and 2 female betta in a 3ft tank with 1 male and 1 female gourami. The gouramis are much larger than the bettas. The gouramis and betta never cause each other any trouble. But then the males do spend most of their time following the females around the tank. Like others have said I think the combination of bettas and gouramis will be ok sometimes and not others, I guess it depends a bit on the personality of the individual fish.