Has anyone seen this?

ryanjury

YEah was just wondering if anyone had actually seen it.. I know i spend alot of time in petshops and never had.. who would pay it? When you can get a yellow for like $5-10 from a breeder..

Hopefully the trader is a member here and can let us know where and when they saw this!

LPS in mount Eden no typo error Spoke to Kyle about the price, he said they paid a Fair bit for them !! They were around 12- 13cm.

Two weeks ago. For the size and brilliance of the fish I guess they can charge what they want thought I would mention it, seen these fish are very much bigger the the average ones you find around.

Best to ask Kyle if they actually sold any a that price or if they have reduced the price. Have not been out to the LPS this past week so I don't know !!

Lynn

Gee surely it would be a one off that stores charge that, I mean are they literally gold plated or what? :-?

I got a beautiful electric yellow male, who was around the 13-14cm mark for $18... to me that was a bargain and being in the right place at the right time.

I have never seen Electric Yellows of that size retail for $99 down this way.. :o

Hey by any chance were the 99 yellows on the 1st of april..

I just cant believe it.. And also think its a bit rough to market the fish on trademe sort of implying that they retail for 99 when in actual fact if they did at one stage thats not a usual retail price..

I know of one wholesaler who sells largish Africans on the list, and they are very high wholesale prices, so the shop price would have to be pretty up there.. frankly I wouldn't bother, most people are just as happy buying a really nicely coloured Electric Yellow to grow on.

This particular list also sells "Electric Blues" however, next to the name it then states "Pseudotropheus" :lol: It could end up rather confusing for some LFS out there who aren't African minded, when they could possibly get fryeri in their minds and then end up getting a Zebra... :roll:

Market value. Funny term that.

Over here the legal imports of Africans are very limited, peacocks...

I got some fish that had been brought in illegally over here. The Lion Coves I got were 1/4 that price. {Okay 3-5cm} but still back door specials should be expensive. :wink:

The White Calvus were a pretty{same as the yellows in question} penny, but now they are hard to come buy.

I don't know how something legally imported could fetch such a price.

Frenchy :D

this sounds like an bit of a pick on me as the person was only saying what they saw and it has been conformed that that was the price it is a bit over the top for a fish but with all of us selling the same thing cheaper how r the local pet store to survive also just to say that i have brought fish from above and they r top quality

Could also blame their buyer as not seeing the market as others see it.

TradeMe is a fair indicater of prices, and as in a shop if the price is too hot, don't buy it.

Bet the buyer doesn't buy a line like that again huh??

By the way, who are you ghostknife, be nice to see you go to the welcome section and introduce yourself.

I won't go there and welcome you, I'll do it now.

Be interesting to see what fish you have bought from them.

I think the starting price on Trade me is fair. The $99 in a lfs isn't.

The shop has made an error in my view. If they paid $30-40 or more from a wholesaler or breeder, then they just made a mistake, thats all. They should of realised roughly what the market value is. Probably was $90-100 at one stage, cichlids breed, market value has dropped.

Over here we can buy cichlids off wholesalers. If the wholesaler bought from a breeder,{limited african imports here} then the wholesaler has their mark up. The lfs buys them, adds their own mark up, then sells to customer. eg; Black Calvus are $xx on one wholesale list, yet a lfs could only sell them for that price. The smart shop, that wants to sell Black Calvus goes & finds a breeder & buys direct, cut out the middle man.

Frenchy :D