Mini Sag Flowering

HummingBird

I was doing my weekly water change today on my 3ft planted tank when I discovered that my Mini Saggitaria has put out a flower, with a couple more on the way. This is especially surprising because I only got the plants 12 days ago! It's an approx 140L tank with 90 watts of lighting in total, I regularly dose it with PMDD and flourish excel.

flower.jpg

P1050119.jpg

To see some more pics of the tank & flowers check out My Picasa Web Album

Now you're possibly going to see the uncommon tendency for the "dwarf sag grass" to grow up to 30cm long. It was a nice carpet effect in my tank until it turned it into a jungle. I wish I still had that happy little tank....

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, that's the dwarf sag! It's not so dwarfy, I know. Like B&K mentioned it apparently has a tendency to grow a lot larger - I'm not sure about the conditions that spur it to do this, when I got mine they were like this. It's still putting out a few flowers each week too, it's mental.

Aw shucks ... don't I feel silly :oops:

I would have planted that in the foreground coz it was 'dwarf' Had no idea it could grow that big. (I've been researching plants for the new tank).

Does it come in a 'non-dwarf' version and if so who has a tank tall enough to accomodate it? :o

The plant in the picture is Sag. subulata. Plants are seasonal as most are grown in a glasshouse or by hydropnics and it is now getting too cold fore tropical plants to grow much. Growers (including me) will now need to try and hold some plants for a good start in the spring. I have S. microfolia but only enough to get started when the weather warms up.

Not really. There's some dwarf sag on trademe right now, it's Sagittaria subulata though.

Yep I know - I have a bid on it :P

Growers (including me) will now need to try and hold some plants for a good start in the spring. I have S. microfolia but only enough to get started when the weather warms up.

Thanks Alan - I'll watch out in the spring under your listings :lol:

Cheers for that