Calculation for substrate?

Milet

Does anyone know a way that i can know how much sand im going to need for my tank?

Im looking to cover 1220mm X 460mm X 40mm with a coarse sand. Is there a calculation that i can use to figure out how much i need? Its sold by the KG. lol thanks in advance.

Probably another stupid question :cry:

Just found a site that kinda helps

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_howmuch_substrate.php

Fine Substrate (.25-.50 mm): 1 kg occupies about 600 cm^3 = 600 mL

so my volume would be (122*46*4) 22448cm^3

(22448/600=37.4)

Can anyone correct me here? Im not too good with mathematics, but with my calc. it shows i need 37.4 kgs?

Up here i go out to stone and water world, it works out about $1 a kg. about $20 for a 20kg bag, you don't need to buy the small bags from a fish shop.

all it is is rocks so anywhere that supplies bulk pebbles etc is fine. just remember to rinse thoughly.

I asked the guy at my LFS and he suggested going to stone and water world, it is where he brought bulk from then split it up.

It's a good way to go if you want bulk. also can use daltons aquatic mix, good for plants, is $9ish for 10kg bag.

Your maths is fine but I think the weight of the stone might be off a bit. My tank is a wee bit bigger but it's got 750kg of gravel in it. NZ has quite heavy stone so I think you'll find it's more like 3-4kg per liter. So you'll likely need around 75-100kg of gravel, based off what's in my tank. I used 30 x 25kg bags and got them for $20 each, direct from Southland Sand and Gravel in Invercargil. Their minimum order quantity is 1000kg so you won't be able to buy from there. A local fish shop or landscape supply should be able to help. Try one 25kg bag first and gauge from that how many more you'll need. It will depend a lot on the type of stone, some are considerably lighter than others.

Your maths is fine but I think the weight of the stone might be off a bit. My tank is a wee bit bigger but it's got 750kg of gravel in it. NZ has quite heavy stone so I think you'll find it's more like 3-4kg per liter. So you'll likely need around 75-100kg of gravel, based off what's in my tank. I used 30 x 25kg bags and got them for $20 each, direct from Southland Sand and Gravel in Invercargil. Their minimum order quantity is 1000kg so you won't be able to buy from there. A local fish shop or landscape supply should be able to help. Try one 25kg bag first and gauge from that how many more you'll need. It will depend a lot on the type of stone, some are considerably lighter than others.

Correction, I paid approx $5.00 per bag = $150 and $450 for freight = $600 so the real cost was $20 per bag.