Blood Parrots!! friends and foes!!

Doc Holiday

had a pair for 3 years now no probs, got them in a community tank with clown loaches, rams, silver shark, red tailed shark, etc, glutens at feeding time, the only thing they poke about at is a rather large plecy, still whenever anyone comes round it's always the 1st fish to get mentioned.

Unfortunately some of the central Am's are either rare or not available at all over here. Salvinis are rare (I've only ever seen 3 in NZ, but apparently some LFS's do have them on rare occassions) and I haven't heard of anyone having a Festae in NZ before. Others that don't seem to be around are Trimac's and Wolf cichlids :(. Anyone else seen any of these in NZ before?

Doc,

Get the better half to have a look at Salvinis & or festaes, sure shell like those. do yous have them there, American Cichlids

I have yet to see these cichlids available to purchase, I have the means to aquire them but at a price that I'm not prepared to pay. We have easy access to a pair of red and yellow parots for around $100 so I think we''ll stick with them for now.

At the moment we have

1- Betta

1- golden gourami

1- silver lyretail molly

1- sailfin pleco

in addition to the pair of parrots we also want to add another golden gourami, a black lyretail molly and a school of black neons or rummynose tetras. The biggest thing I'm unsure of is how territorial the gouramis will be towards the parots and vice vercer. I'm sure the rest will be fine. 8)

We have plans on getting a rather large aquarium in the near future 600 - 750L the 100L tank will become a kind of holding tank for the fish to grow large enough to be added to the bigger tank with the larger fish. I Hope to start breeding the odd few and I have a 40L tank to be used as a hospis tank or holding tank for any fry that are born to prevent them from being eaten. 8)

What no Festaes :cry:

I remmeber here 5 to 6 years ago you couldnt even give salvinis away, but now they retail for $20 to $30 each (lfs)at 3 to 4 cm. Glad I kept my pair. Festaes seem to hit the market here for a while then disappear for 6 months.

Frenchy :D

ps; whats the damage for salvinis???Gee no fronies there either :cry:

:evil: yet yous have Flowerhorns & blood parrots :evil:

havent seen blood parrots here for ages too!!! :P