geting set for winter

Whiskas

Clean out rotting vegetation, dead leaves and plants etc.

Check and clean out filters. Do not turn them off over winter!

Cut back any plants that require it.

Remove lilies for overwintering.

Check pipework joints and seals as ice can open cracks.

Check the pump is going well with no worn parts. Raise it to just below the water surface. The agitation will help stop ice forming and warmer water will stay undisturbed at the bottom. Normally warm air and water rises but in a cold pond the surface water freezes and forms an insulating layer which forces the warmer water to sink. That is why pond fish head for the depths during winter. If the water temp reaches 2C ice crystals will form in the gills, causing them to burst and kill the fish.

Cover part of the pond if you can as this will stop the whole surface from freezing so oxygen can still dissolve and carbon dioxide escape.

Make sure the cover allows light through or algae and plants will die and pollute the water.

If you have a waterfall or fountain it may pay to turn them off as flowing water will chill rapidly and lower the pond temp.

Don't feed the fish. Once the temp drops below 10C the fish's digestive systems shut down into semi hibernation mode and they can't process food.

Nitrates will build up over winter so make sure you do a water change in the spring.

Thanx for that, Nice to know I am doing the right things :)

When the lillies are removed do they need to be kept in water?

Was at the SPCA a few months ago and was reading their pamphlet on keeping pond fish (or was there a bit in their column in the paper) :roll: Hmmm.. Anyways it said to remember to feed your goldfish more over winter as there were not so many bugs aroundn :o I thought that was wrong at the time as i have never fed my Goldies over winter due to the fact they never eat it and it just pollutes the water! I didn't tell them as I wasn't really sure but next time I am in at the SPCA i will see if they do have a pamphlet which says that and tell them to change it.

Now to get the courage to get in the cool water and do the maintenance :-?

Not all lilies are 'hardy'. Some lilies sold in NZ are tropical and will not stand the cold over winter. These need to be removed from the pond or they will die/rot. The hardy ones will simply go dormant and start to regrow in spring.

I read somewhere that the best time to divide lilies is when they are actively growing.