Uaru

snookie

I dont usually buy on impulse ! but i had to get these 2 little guys ,they were begging for me to buy them :D any interesting info i need to know . currently in a planted tank with a young asian knife

they still have there baby colours and are about 3cm give or take

Clean water is a MUST with these fellas.

The temperature is in the high 20's.

They will decimate a planted tank.

I know, they ate everything including java fern.

But some baby indian ferns that survived have been left, unmolested and floating.

They love duckweed.

Cut up worms are scoffed, as are trout pellets, and flake food.

They can be easily frightened and will tear to the back of the tank to hide, I have driftwood and a filter that the play peek-y-boo from.

They definately are aware of strangers.

The Uaru are found with angels and discus in the wild and IMO should be treated similarly to discus. I use "Kaimai" water, which, if you ask Warren, said after a test, that it was slightly acidic, and had only water in it.

I had 11 of my babies survive and they reached "Qualifying" age on the 21st of this month, and have grown to T/L of 25mm. and all are a similar size.

They still attack the flanks and fins of their parents who secrete a slime the same as discus, so I would pick that raising them artificially would be an extremely difficult option.

They are gentle giants and would get on with any fish that has the same needs as them, just watch that tank mates don't take advantage over them.

Maybe not a good idea for too small a fish tho as they do chase down mozzie larvae to the last one.

What did the youngsters cost you Snookie??

I don't think so.

The guy I got them from I'm sure had them with other fish. Afrikan may be able to help as she knows of whom I speak and has seen his set up.

They had babies when I first met them which was the clincher why I bought them. A proven pair as they are almost impossible to sex.

They are in their own tank at my establishment.

:lol: :lol: Hmm yes I have seen Lion King, I have a 3 year old and hes big cat mad :lol:

And yeap the Uaru are very nice, nice enough to get away with plant munching if you are not overly mad on plants :D Not cute enough to be residing in my planted tank tho.. even tho there are two nice little ones at hubbys work at the moment :D

Out of interest, what plants were they chowing down on snookie? Might tell hubby to give theirs a bit of a snack.