Dutch road trip

reef

You dont need a orp controller for Ozone, i have never used one as you have to calibrate the thing all the time and clean it.

With ozone you will run a higher orp, howver too high and it is also no good for the tank.

ozone will give you crystal clear water, however i found you also get nitrates quicker as it breaks down ammonia which goes to nitrate.

I use ozone maybe once a month for a few days and then turn it off.

You haveto watch that you dont burn your coral as the ozone will clear the water so the light will be brighter for the coral thus it can burn them.

Ozone also kills bacteria which can be a good thing.

The Myripristis Jacobus soldier fish are cool. The tank is missing a substrate :)

Corret but you understand the role of bacteria layton

Yip, they're just there because you can't stop them from being there, and the less of them the better ;-)

I think people place far too much emphasis on bacterial systems. It's partly the fault of hobby marketing. The bacteria are there because the fish and corals create an environment which supports the growth of the right bacteria. Then you get people who think that the right kind of bacteria aren't there, and try to skew them by adding nutrients to the system to promote bacterial growth. They get so focused on creating an environment for the bacteria, they forget that they just want to keep some coral and fish in a tank. Don't trust bacteria.

Basically all the bacteria is there for is to make the fish's initial waste products less toxic. After that, all they're doing is temporarily storing waste, so you can herd them to the skimmer and get rid of them.

there is a high load on the system from the fish,It must be a good skimmer

does it use UV or ozone? Hows your UV going? Ive just started with ozone and like the results so far no orp controler yet :wink:

It doesn't use ozone or UV. It does use the method of piling food into the tank similar to the Blu Method. I think is uses a MTT1 skimmer, they call it a little bubble king.

Like I said before, I wouldn't do another marine tank without a UV unit.

Are you using carbon with the ozone? You should in a reef tank. (One of the reasons I chose UV over ozone - I wanted to eliminate the carbon it leaches crap)

Layton

yep i run carbon 24 / 7 and rowaphos like reef said the water becomes crystal clear. I lisened to randy homes farley talk about ozone on podcast and he was saying when run in a skimmer the contact time is to short to kill all bacteria but it will clear the water , So im thinking of running a small pump on my old berlin skimmer maybe a slow loop? , Uv also clears the water to right? alot of the top tanks seem to run them both. I find myself wanting cleaner and cleaner water

yep i run carbon 24 / 7 and rowaphos like reef said the water becomes crystal clear.

What I was meaning is that any water which has been ozonated going back into the main tank should ideally pass through a skimmer, then totally through carbon. Rather than just a separate carbon filter, or passive bag of carbon sitting in the sump.

You want to try and offgas or absorb as much of the nasty by products created by the ozone as possible. If you're running fish only, this isn't as critical.

Uv also clears the water to right?

Yip. Although perceptially people seem to find ozone more effective, but that's really because most people undersize UV units, relative to ozone units.

Layton

Are you using carbon with the ozone? You should in a reef tank.

I have never used carbon with ozone, the reason is that putting in 50/100mg is not much at all.

Never lost any fish coral due to ozone. Putting it into a skimmer will remove most of the ozone before it goes back into the tank, providing you have a very good skimmer.

Both ozone/uv have some benefits however they both break down amino acids, iron etc,

For UV to work best you should have it inline with the main pump but the downside is getting a UV that can handle 3000L plus cost big time.

Pond uvs are no good for saltwater tanks due to the way they are designed.

None is a miracle tool that will give you a perfect reef tank :D ,but both have pros/con. the real benefit is in fish only tank.

alot of the top tanks seem to run them both

From the tanks i have seen most dont use them at all, its more on american tanks. i dont see many europeans use them as that is where the best tanks are in my opinion.

Most marine books by well known authors dont really say much about either as a must have for a reef tank, however as above i think they do add some value.

All this talk on Ozone has just reminded me to go and turn the ozone for a few hours to polish the water. :D