medical kits.

jinx

The only I keep stocked in my fishie cupboard is melafix and salt. I occassionally buy "ich cure" if I have a disaster and the salt doesn't work, but as a general rule, I don't keep myself stocked up on it.

Melafix is an excellent, all natural, med that doesn't seem to have any effects on the fish, and it also safe to use with loaches and other "scaleless" fish.

As far as my fishy pharmaceticals are concerned I have white spot cure, formalin, malchite green and melafix.

Most of these are from the 'bad old days' - if I was only going to have one on hand now, I'd have to say that I'd keep the white spot cure - the tank looks so pretty that nice blue colour. I don't have regular out breaks of white spot, but recently had an out break when I got some new fish.

I've also used Curex (for internal worms) - have found that it works, though not as well as I would have liked - found to get the best results I had to do a follow up treatment (ie another 10 day course of doses)

The most recent ANGFA (Australian and New Guinea Fishes Association) news bulletin had about how to use a particular animal drench with very good success to treat internal worms. I'll have to see if it is one of the ones my Dad (a farmer) keeps in stock.

I thought Ihad replied to this but I can't find my post. I wonder if I put it somewhere else by mistake? Never mind.

I don't have any medications at all. I have had occasion to use Malachite green but haven't needed to use anything for years now.

I have Stress Coat on hand but it is not a medication and is used to help a fish through its problem, not cure it. I think of Stress Coat as like a fishy valium.

Malachite Green Oxalate is good for treating external protozoans like Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (Ich). Care must be taken when using it as it is very toxic to most fish. Do not use it above the specified maximum dose. It is a strong carcinogen so therefore should be used for the minimum time possible while still making sure a cure is effected. You should not get it on your skin.

I keep the following Medications:

Malachite green oxalate: Ich

Methylene blue: Anti Fungus

Metronidazole: Flagellates

Furan2 (Aquafuran / Nifurpirinol): Bacterial Infection

Oxytetracycline hydrochloride: Bacterial Infection

Neomycin sulphate: Bacterial Infection

Flike Tabs: Fluke Infections

Salt (Sodium chloride): Minor Infections

Pottasium permangenate: Sterilising Tanks

I keep all these and try to keep their expiry dates current. Most are in the fridge or freezer to extend their life.

I have seldom had to use them, but when you do need them they have to be on hand. With little support of most medications you are lucky if you can get them within 24 hours. By then it is usuallt too late. The earlier you can treat a fish with the correct medication the better chance it has.

Anyone in Hawkes Bay who ever needs medications quick can call me if they like. Most of the time they just sit in the fridge until they go off. It would be good to have them used!

Well, Warrens already mentioned about what malachite green is for.

Melafix is a tea tree extract used for ulcers, open wounds, damaged fins and fin rot.

It's sort of like Detol for fish.

Well, Warrens already mentioned about what malachite green is for.

Melafix is a tea tree extract used for ulcers, open wounds, damaged fins and fin rot.

It's sort of like Detol for fish.

thanks rob and warren.