starter thing for light

sharn

just wondering if anyone knows what to do with the Aqua One AL-30D (3 foot double fluro tube) when one of the tubes just doesnt turn on anymore? ive got the round starters in my larger 4 foot lights but im not sure what to do about the Aqua One ones.

its definatly not the tube either, it was recently replaced and the actual unit has been making a slight buzzing noise when that side of the unit is turned on (and it flickered too for a bit before turning on which im told is the starter motor?).

For an extra $2 you should ALWAYS replace starters with tubes, ages ago when i offered tubes for sale, they where included.

I am not 100% sure on if your Aqua one is the same as mine, but you may like to check the connections of ALL the wireing into the components. I was having drama's with 1 tube in my AO 2x3ft unit, after trying EVERYTHING and almost replacing the ballast I touched a wire into one of the ballasts and it fell out in my hand!!! So I undid the screw then pushed the wire back in and hey presto! The ballast stopped buzzing, light lit... and stayed lit, all good!!!

And I am sure it doesnt need to be said but... disconnect it from the mains!! :)

HTH

Its not critical to replace a starter if it is still starting quickly, the problems happen when they dont open within a second of turn on, the tube ends start to blacken. Since aquariums dont start too often, the starters should last for a good few tube changes, whereas ones in offices which are off and on all the time will usually fail at about the same time as the tubes.

If the starters dead, and you left a tube in and the ends were glowing, then the tube is probarbly stuffed anyway, so you may want to replace it too.

id say so tsar- if my experience is anything to go on.

i fixed mine, i just stole the starter out of my 4 footer and popped it in and away it goes. now i just gotta get a starter for my 4 footer :lol:

does it matter the one in the bung light said 4-65W and the one i put in said 4-85W? probably shoulda asked this before hand just incase :lol:

Once its started you can pull the starter out, and you can put the stuffed one in so that it starts and pull it out once it has struck and it should stay on. The starter will be closing again once the light is running. That can happen if the tube is near stuffed however since the voltage across it goes up as wattage decreses.