Blue Lumphead Aggression

malawi_man

I have 1 male and 2 female blue lumpheads, (cyrtocara moorii) also called blue dolphins. The females fight so much that I can't put them in the same tank now. I have had all 3 seperated for a while but I want to breed them. I put the male and the least aggressive female in the grow out tank and they haven't stopped circling each other, with the occasional jaw lock.

Is there anything I can do to make them like each other? It's really starting to annoy me, are everyone elses this aggressive?

My two males do the jaw locking and circling thing, are you sure they females? I have two pairs and the dominant male and does that with the other male before spawning with either of the females. That is how I tell when they going to spawn. Might be different with yours, just what I observed with mine.

Why do people recommend feeding bloodworms to fish for, especially African Cichlids?

Dolphins can be nasty buggers. More females is probably the only other thing I could suggest. Then again, that is hard to find at that size.

A nice read,

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_moorii.php

Frenchy :D

Be a little carefull with the white worms Daniel - a bit fatty.

Bloodworms - we had a guy down here who used to feed these to his Trop Dub to get them into spawning condition :o . Amazing they never bloated :-?

If I get desperate I go down to a local pond and net out some Mysis shrimp, seems to do the trick :)

OOA

If you do your research you will find that they feed on worms and other aquatic life in the wild, they don't feed on algae, that's dolphins. I feed my Africans according to what they eat in the wild and have been for more than 15 years without problems. It's all personal preference, stick to what you believe in. :wink: Most Africans that feed on algae can't resist small fry, have a look when a female spits in a community tank. :o

Nothing is black and white in fishkeeping, I've been around a while and you pick up bits of info and try new things and if it works for you, good. They will spawn for you if they are conditioned , whichever way you prefer to do it. :wink:

Everyone has there preferences, if it works for them then let it be !!

I don't care what people feed their own fish. As I have typed the dangers of bloodworms before. If there fish die, too bad.

Its the suggestions to others to do the same I don't like.

If you do your research
Thanks for the tip :P I didn't know what I was talking about, silly me :roll: Yes I know they dig in the sand for food for micro orgasims.

Have read the page I linked earlier before.

As we are on research tips then, read up on bloodworms, how they are collected & how many humans are allergic to them. I know off people that have had no problems before, but I have lost fish to bloodworms before as have lfs shops. Brad breaks out in a rash when handling them, as does another lfs member I know. You are right nothing is black & white in this hobby.

Because they are a risk I will continue to advise people against them. Plenty of the other feeding options out there.

In the end do what you like, just be aware with bloodworms there are risks.

I have heard from other fish keepers about Bloodworms to Frenchy, I have actually thought about not replacing the next lot that we currently have, and moving onto other alternatives... We bought a whole heap in bulk, so thought we would use them up, however, as said before my African Cichlids don't get them.

I agree with Frenchy, suggesting the use of them to others isn't what I would do either, there are other alternatives out there and with the thoughts and information given against Bloodworms, I would definately be encouraging other foods over Bloodworms anyday IMO :wink::D

Hope you don't mind us hijacking your link Kribcrazy? All in good spirit. :D I agree with you on that herefishiefishie. There is risk when using and feeding bloodworm, but if used with care and moderation it is still good. I've been feeding it to various fish for years and never lost a fish because of that. :wink::bow::bow:

When Dolphins are fully grown they are pretty big, so will they still feed on micro organisms? We can debate this forever. I'll leave it at that. :wink:

Debate all you like....

It has been in the hobby for several decades now, being first imported in 1968. In the wild, C. moorii displays a very unique feeding adaptation. Classified as a micro-predator, it follows close behind substrate-digging cichlids - like Taeniolethrinops praeorbitalis, Fossorochromis rostratus, and Mylochromis lateristriga – and feeds on the small edible organisms and particles that get stirred up behind them as they feed.

In fact, as these fish dig in the sand looking for food, the resulting clouds attract C. moorii, like sharks to blood, but not as dramtatic. This is its only documented method of hunting for food in the lake.

and just to check with an Ad Konnings book....

Food: C.moorii feeds almost exclusively on material that has been stirred up by large sand-sifting species.

If you want to debate feeding, take it up with them :lol:

There is risk when using and feeding bloodworm, but if used with care and moderation it is still good

Thanks but, I mean ask Brad, he only has to touch them. I am sure that is once in a blue moon & he breaks out in a rash.

Just hang in their Daniel. They will breed. The group I got off you are now very active and I witnessed my first female spawning. The tank is normally pieceful, which includes a fusco, but that night all fish where pushed to one side of the tank. Today I have a female holding and the tank is calm as usual. Normally all they get is flake food. I would recommend frozen shrimp for a alternative if you want to feed something different.

I have eight of them. Lost a runt the other month. It just wouldnt grow and I think the male dealt to it.

The female is still holding as from today. As this is her first lot and i really want the fry I might strip her within 10 days.

Fingers crossed :)

Daniel. How many other fish do you have with your dolphines? Try adding alot of other cichlids just to distract the males aggression.