Hutt Pets

bubblestank

I've bought heaps and heaps and heaps of fish from Hutt Pets over the years and haven't had a problem. Just take your time and observe any tank of fish for disease before deciding to purchase from that lot. I often find sick fish with obvious signs of disease in any pet shop, but aside from cardinal tetras HP is pretty good and getting much better over the last 6-9 months with a new fish department manager (Ben) and an excellent new owner (Bryan).

As for the tropicals, they have a nice selection these days and many fish which you don't find at the other pet shop. They ALWAYS have oscars in stock, which you won't find really anywhere else. They even carry discus from local breeders and the occassional fancy plec.

The chain pet shop is just a block away, so it never hurts to visit both to compare prices and condition of fish before buying.

And one last thing - Hutt Pets gives a 10% discount on all fish and fish equipment to FNZAS members. The chain shop has a deal with a $10 voucher for every $300 spent, but fish and plants don't apply in that scheme.

i have to agree with both mystic and blue,they rock! for service and satisfaction you can do no wrong,i personally would miss the chain store.

they will even do "specials" on" special orders".as blue said just take your time and observe before buying, they will not boot you out.The new owners have done wonders, and they are great people to deal with,its a pleasure to shop there, nice and organised now and room to move,Ask for ben, check it out! :D:D

Yeah Hutt pets is one of the better shops down there Ben's awesome and very approachable if you want stuff or if you see a sick fish or want to comment on how to help out hes keen to listen...

I get the impression its all new but have also heard rumours that its going to be expanding big time including marines and a heap of new tanks etc so should be good :)

I agree. Its a great shop and I've never had problems with fish from there. I'm really surprised, Caryl, that you didn't know they offered the discount because they've been giving it for as long as I've had fish (which isn't very long I know :) )

They've got more blood red oscars in, so if anyone wants some cute baby oscars that are BRIGHT orange, go in now!

They do sell guppies but guppies are not a coldwater species, keeping them in cold water is cruel IMO unless you can ensure the water wotn drop below 20C. There are plecs in the cold tanks, but you'll notice the cold tanks do have heaters to prevent them getting too cold for the plecs.

Coldwater Hutt Pets have your normal goldfish selection and mountain minnows. The minnows are like $3each I think?

I poked Ben to investigate stocking the new Aquis filters too, so that'll be a nice addition to the stock. They do provide a 10% FNZAS discount AFAIK (well I got given it in the past).

oscars rule! remember though they get big (12-14" on average) and are very messy, need at least 250L for one oscar alone, 350L min for two. they are definatly like puppies in a tank- when my boy was out in the lounge i wasnt allowed to lie down on the couch near him with a certain blanket otherwise i would get charged at and have rocks thrown at me thru the glass :lol:

with hutt pets under new management they are doing everything they can to improve their service. the fish section has undergone an amazing improvement in the last year, with more on the way. Ben, the person looking after the fish, asks people what they would like to see in there and will listen to what you have to say.

• 1 month later...