Trouble with tank

fishtv

Hey guys,

Sorry for all the questions but I'm running out of options.

Over new years I went away and wrongly left my fish under the supervision of someone who didn't know a lot about tanks. They were heavily overfed and as a consequence I lost a couple during this time.

When I got home I did a 25% water change and vac the stones to remove most of the leftovers. I then continued a 10% daily change to dilute the toxins.

The tank never seemed to recover and I am still losing fish.

Please help? I hate seeing the fish sick and cant seem to help them?

Thanks

yea I have done a fairly extensive vac and checked under all my rocks etc. But I will repeat the process and try again. In the meantime is 10% daily changes going to help to dilute toxins?

Changing the water everyday just prolongs the cycle (i.e bacteria cant establish to convert the toxins etc) remove the fish and put in another or someone elses tank while your tank can establish its self again, and try and some stress zyme to the tank and doing 20% water changes weekly untill the toxins are at 0

Have you tested for Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate and what is the reading.

I would do a big waterchange (90%) for a start follow by a daily 50% waterchange . Make sure that the PH and TEMP of the new water is similar to what is in the tank.

ron

changing that much water would mean starting the cycle again and the fish would die from ammonia poisoning shortly after

Changing the water is to get rid of whatever toxic stuff that is in the tank. If the tank is established it shouldn't go through a cycle again. The bacterial is on the surface of things like glass, filters, gravels, rocks......

They are not free swimming. Keeping the PH and WATER TEMP the same is the key to big waterchanges.

I change 50 - 100% of water everyday and my hundreds of discus are all still alive and swimming happily.

Stripping the tank will definately get rid of all the available bacterial and start the cycle again.

ron