How do I get rid of these little critters

Duke

The flat worm exit isn't toxic itself but the dieing flatworms are. The first time I used it I waited and had lots of flatworms, I lost a purple tang and cleaner shrimp. I have treated a number of times since then and not had a problem. The main difference being I treated as soon as I saw any flatworms.

My advise would be to kill them now before they get out of control, and follow the instructions to the letter, accept change heaps more water than they suggest and you will have to retreat a couple of times to get them all.

You could wait and see if they go away but from what I have seen they don't and by waiting the numbers will just increase.

Great...... where did they come from?

They will have come in on a new addition to the tank, coral or rock. If I'm not 100% sure of where some thing I add has come from I dip in flatworm exit before I put it in the tank now.

puttputt more or less told you:

I think if you run low nutrients ... they seem to disappear.

You'll find that they are similar to cyano, in that they'll occupy areas which have a direct source of decaying detritus.

Remove the decaying detritus, and you'll find the flatworms will disappear, just like cyano will.

Just like many other problems, it comes down to keeping the tank clean.

Layton

I have heard people say they go away but has anyone actually managed to do this??

I just a look on reefcentral as well, and couldn't find anyone there that managed to just get rid of them, every one has used either flatworm exit, 6 line wrass, or nudi.

• 1 month later...