Electric Yellow Newbie :D

Gatito

Wahooooo.... Someone (you know who you are!!! :wink: ) decided to fuel my obsession and give me some itsy-bitsy baby electric yellow cichlids. They're doing well, but it's a whole different ball game for me, so any advice would be fantastic!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

There are 6 - how big do they get, and what size tank will they need when they're adults? And what other cichlids, or other fish, can go with them? I will be wanting them to have my second big display tank, so some other fish would be nice.

They are africans, correct? And we do not mix african and american, ya? Can we mix different types of african (i hear they come from 3 main areas, according to google)

And how the %$#@ am i supposed to pronounce "cichlid"? Is it "chitch-lid" or "sick-lid"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks!!! xxxxxxx

They get to roughly 15cms.. Ph of around 8.2, like the tank a little on the warmer side, around 27-28 degrees... however I have mine around 26-27, very happy.

They come from Lake Malawi.. you can house them quite happily with other Mbuna, Peacocks etc...

Definately don't keep Africans with Americans, I know some do, but I don't go advocating that, they need different water parameters etc..

And also, just a quick note, it does pay to get a bit of background of info on a fish if you are getting it from another fish keeper or they should have really given you the info to be honest, or even if you find something in the store, read about it first :D

They get to roughly 15cms.. Ph of around 8.2, like the tank a little on the warmer side, around 27-28 degrees... however I have mine around 26-27, very happy.

They come from Lake Malawi.. you can house them quite happily with other Mbuna, Peacocks etc...

Definately don't keep Africans with Americans, I know some do, but I don't go advocating that, they need different water parameters etc..

And also, just a quick note, it does pay to get a bit of background of info on a fish if you are getting it from another fish keeper or they should have really given you the info to be honest, or even if you find something in the store, read about it first :D

Thanks Afrikan, i did (and always do) read up about their care and requirements before i got them, so i could have a suitable tank ready. Just was a bit foggy on some of the bits and bobs (pronounciation of 'cichlid', and was 99.9% sure they were african, but internet sites sometimes contradict each other :D )

The information i'm after is more in relation to my options with housing them when they're older - what i can display them with, etc, as well as anything i can learn from other forum member's experiences. Looking out for the future :)

Thanks for your concern though

Crikey.. what internet site did you come across that stated they were something else other than African? :-? :o

If you didn't want to go too large in the way of tank wise housing them, especially with wanting to branch out into some other tank mates, you could always kep a nice colony of Demasoni (dwarf Mbuna) also... The contrast of colour is truely beautiful.. Yellow against the vibrant blue..

Electric Yellows usually stay around the 9cm mark in the wild but in captivity can often reach the 15cm mark, I have some big fellows, so it might pay to think bigger tank than something that would be just enough... long term.

Crikey.. what internet site did you come across that stated they were something else other than African? :-? :o

If you didn't want to go too large in the way of tank wise housing them, especially with wanting to branch out into some other tank mates, you could always kep a nice colony of Demasoni (dwarf Mbuna) also... The contrast of colour is truely beautiful.. Yellow against the vibrant blue..

Electric Yellows usually stay around the 9cm mark in the wild but in captivity can often reach the 15cm mark, I have some big fellows, so it might pay to think bigger tank than something that would be just enough... long term.

Lol, i went to anything that google brought up. Nothing that specifically said they weren't, but some that were rather vague. Maybe i just got hit by information overload... :lol:

Yes i'm LOVING the idea of some fantastic contrasting fish for a BIG display tank to run across the living room wall once they're bigger, so definitely looking at plenty of space rather than just the basic/minimum requirement.

Thanks for the advice, will have a look at the Demasoni profile...