Finally a new Tank

wamonz

Ok I gone and found me a tank. 90x30x30. My question is this. I'm planning to get a new Fluval 205. whould that be too much for it? or would I be better to go for the 105?

I'm thinking the 205 as I guess it's best to have as much filtering as possible.....but would that create too much water current?

• 8 months later...

Hi There....Well it's been a long time in coming but have finally got the tank up and running....check it out....It's been running about 6 weeks now...so I suspect It's cycled...have changed water weekly.

Its 900x300x300. Built the cabinet to house the speaker and filters etc and fit under the tellie..

It has a Aqua one 1000 external filter, which keeps the inhabitants fit.

So far I have..

12 neon Tetras,

2 Golden Algae eaters

2 Swordtails

2 White molly

and 3 Gouramis.

I'm into getting a gouple of Siamese fighters and then I think i'll be done.

the Fish shop tell me thjat perhaps thats not a good idea as the gouramis will pick on them?

I was wondering if anyone agrees with this? shall i introduce a couple of siamese fighters?

if not has any oneany other suggestions as to what would be good to introduce next....I think I only have room for a couple more.

any ideas appreciated..

So far I have..

12 neon Tetras,

2 Golden Algae eaters

2 Swordtails

2 White molly

and 3 Gouramis.

My question would be about the two golden algae eaters. these guys get quite aggressive. I have just had to extract one from the chase-the-cichlids tank into a smaller less populated tank for the sake of world peace. If the tank isn't large enough for two of these to be happy, they will also scrap among themselves. Of course, you may be lucky and get a couple that aren't going to scrap and chase, it's the luck of the draw.

Can I ask a silly question? The siamese fighters - one male and one female right? or two females?

With a strong filter current, wouldn't the male have problems building and maintaining a bubble nest if that is your plan for your fighters?

I have found Siamese fighting fish to be the most peaceful and beautiful fish to have in a community tank, although my experience with them has been limited. The only aggression I have ever seen is male against female after spawning whilst he is trying to look after the nest and she gets too close. Give her some hiding places and enough room to run and she'll be happy, if a little tired.

Good luck with the new tank!

Fighters and gourami - it depends on the nature of the fish involved. Both being from the anabantoid family a male from each sometimes can cause problems, but if you are talking two female fighters there won't be an issue. A male and female fighter will not most likely successfully spawn in a community tank anyway.

Hey thanks for the replys.

So what you are saying is that, as the Gouramis and the fighters are from the same family, only 1 male accross both species and I should be ok?

How can I tell if the Gouramis are male or female?

And the questin about the Algae eaters...They keep to them selves pretty much, they race around from time to time, but generally are hiding somewher at the bottom of the tank.

thanks again.

What type of Gouramis are they?

I use to have a bit of problems with my Male Dwarf Gourami's being agro to all the other fish but my Male fighter didn't have any bar of that and put him in his place.

The Fighter doesn't really bother any other fish. My Pearl Gourami's and fighter get along fine. I don't have the 2 Dwarfs anymore because they mysteriously died :cry:

Ok The Fighters are in...Nice looking Male and female. Animates had a sale this weekend, Buy one get oine free, so I couldn't pass it up.

THey went in without any drama, and so far the other tankmates have been leaving them alone.. I'l keep them monitored though.