fish selection for new tank

davidb

I'm setting up a new tank once I have cleared the tree frogs out of it... it is 122 long, 60 from lid to base and 38 from front to back. I want to set it up with 4 silver dollars being the main attraction. What other fish do you guys reccoment. I want a really open tank with biggish fish and I want something that goes with this theme... What sharks would fit in the tank. I know bala sharks and silver shatks would get too big. Angels might be goers or kissing gourami. I want cats also- what would you reccomend for this size tank with limited plants? Will a green terror get too big? cheers

well I would like clown loaches but they are a bit out of my price range currently because i am stocking my reef tank too... I don't know how well barbs would do with the big fish and all that open swimming space? Which barbs in particular were you implying?

278 litres.. Reasonable size... I wouldn't go with anything that gets too large as the tank is only 38 wide, silver dollars are nice but can be very skittish. We have a Green Terror only a young guy but they can get highly aggressive, this one is only small and with his previous owner he had already tried to take out a Jag and killed a Blue Acara.

How about a couple of nice Synos? And in fact some nice Blue Acaras? And yeah firemouths would be nice.

well I would like clown loaches but they are a bit out of my price range currently because i am stocking my reef tank too... I don't know how well barbs would do with the big fish and all that open swimming space? Which barbs in particular were you implying?

barbs can be in tanks with most fish (but avoid mental fish like arowanas etc)

tiger barbs are good as long as you dont have fish with big long fins etc

I have a list.

Please tell me yay or nay wether all these fish will be compatible etc

- 2x Festive cichlids (Mesonauta festivum)

- 4x Silver dollars (Metynnis argenteus)

- 4x red scissortail

-5 x zebra loach

will all these be fine together?

Festive Cichlids are a lot of fun. They'll jump for food, eat from your hand, or try to eat your hand (like mine). I got attacked for adjusting a heater once, but thats half the fun I guess :)

They do get very aggressive at times, but normally only guard their own little spot. I'm moving my trio in to a species only tank soon.

Umm the tank would be far too small for Arowana :o Not a good look at all.

I think your combination will be fine David :D As SW has said the Festives can be aggressive, my mother had some and YIKES talk about owners of the tank, they can pack some punch, they are top swimmers most of the time... Keep us updated :D

Should be fine and dandy David :D

Here is a little link:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_festivum.php

Yes you have got to love the Jack Dempseys! :D I have a beautiful BIG pair and they are both a pair of wusses, certainly don't live up to the reputation they are given :lol:

Texas Cichlids are nice but they usually are VERY aggressive :lol:

Should be fine and dandy David :D

Here is a little link:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_festivum.php

Yes you have got to love the Jack Dempseys! :D I have a beautiful BIG pair and they are both a pair of wusses, certainly don't live up to the reputation they are given :lol:

Texas Cichlids are nice but they usually are VERY aggressive :lol:

what other cichlids do you own/sell?