At last, a NZ fishroom

Fatman

It has taken a while but I have found this Fishroom YAY :P

I was begining to think that there were no clubs/groups or other people who were interested in fish keeping here in NZ.

I am only new to the wierd and wide world of aquariums, my tank is 4 months old 36"x18"x18 and i have a smaller 60 ltr tank for my ruby shark and siamiese fighting fish ( regrowing his finns after being savaged in the larger tank )

The current contents are

Buen'os aries tetras 5

Black tetra 10

2 angles, one of which hasn't been eating for about 2 weeks, must be surviving on the plants.

Pleco 1

1 rainbow and 1 silver shark

And my favourite fish 7 clown loaches, as i write this they are attacking and gobbling down some letuce, i dont have any cucumber so that will have to do then tonight :)

Breeding is the goal with these fish but a bigger tank is needed and alot of research

One persom overseas found their clowns changed color and spawing displays were seen at the onset of a rain storm in his area and another noticed similar when he droped the water temp a couple of degrees over a couple of days or so,

I hopeing to try and duplicate the river envroment (sp) as close as possible, ill keep you all informed as i start to get things up and running for this venture.

Looks like im going to be busy learning about making tanks :o

Im also male and 40 yo, :roll:

still ,, enough from me, i look foward to comunicating with you all in the future and learning as much as i can from the wisdom and experence of the members here.

Cheers

terry

Welcome Fatman, I thought the same when I came across this site.

How is the selection of fish stores/pet shops down in Christshurch. Do you use the Animates store Down there. I have been to the Wellington one quite often and would like to know what you think of the Chch one.

There are about 6 shops that i know of, one is a major importer but I have a few reservations about the quality of their fish.

I have been to Animates, they dont have a large selection, I can't say to much here, don't want to upset anybody, lets say I dont buy from them.

My local fish shop is changing hands so it will be intersting what the new owners will be like, I have only had 2 fish from them die, or 3 if you count the ruby shark that jumped out of the tank through a very small hole in the lid. The 2 that died seemed to have TB or the symptoms were the same as TB, they were both euthinised (sp) as their condition got bad, just in case they infected the other fish in the tank.

Christchurch has lots and lots of fish shops! Our Marlborough club makes trips to ChCh to see them once or twice a year. The main large ones are Redwoods, The Fishtank, Animates, Petworld, Kritter Kingdom and one who's name I can't remember but recently discovered in Moorhouse Ave by Countdown (or was it Big Fresh?).

Animates started off well but we have been disappointed the last few times we have visited. Not much in the way of fish or plants but we may have visited at the wrong time and a new shipment may have been due.

There is a fish club in ChCh, they meet in Sydenham but appear to be very small - considering the size of ChCh and the amount of pet shops they have to choose from. Perhaps we will let you know next time we organise a trip down there, Fatman, and you can join us on our fishy tour. :D

The fish tank is the place i buy most of my fish from, just down the road from me, good people and good service, as for some others ,or one other in paticular,, well ,, it would be unethical to comment here :-? , ill keep my opinions to myself :D

any contacts here for the group in CHCH would be apreciated and if you do have a fishy tour i would love to tag along :lol:

cheers

You would be welcome to tag along. Check this Forum under FNZAS Clubs, you will find the name and number of the Canterbury club secretary. I don't think they are particularly active but perhaps they just need some new members to come along and enthuse them! :)

• 2 months later...

I too use Christchurch as the source of fresh fish. Yay someone else who is in love with the clown loaches. I have four clowns in the discus tank and two in the angel tank. Watch them for hours. Poor hubby has to get his own tea. ;-)