Patching a hole and other issues.

jolliolli

Hey Guys.

So i'm buying a tank that was previously used for Marine, and im going to be running just tropical. The tank has had a hole cut in the bottom for the sump/overflow ( i think thats what its called ). the hole is seperated from the rest of the tank buy some glass that looks to have been siliconed in.

So im going to be removing the extra glass and i want to know what the best/safest option is for the patching the hole. Its a 4ft tank. the hole is at a guess 1 - 2 inches in diameter

My options i assume are

1. Find something in a plumbing store thats like a bung of some kind to cover the hole ( not sure if this is going to be strong enough due to the pressure of the water )

2. Get a small bit of glass and some suitable silicon and put a patch of the hole ( is this going to be safe, if the hole was say 1 - 2 inches in diameter how big a bit of glass should i use ).

Whats your thoughts.

Also i have a second tank ( smaller 2.5 ft ).. i noticed that it has a chip on the outside bottom corner, the chip isnt very big, looks like some glass splintered off, dont believe its effected the sealant on the egde, but not 100% sure. Is this an issue, the tank is full currently ( i think its about 170L ).. just want to make sure its not going to explode.

Thanks.

Give your second tank a water test, should be okay.

With the patch it will be ample to cut a piece of glass that will overlap the hole by about 10 to 20mm and just silicone it on.

Make sure that the outside of the patch has the glue spread around neatly after fixing the patch to stop any water ingress, that could then harbour algae and cause the patch to leak in time, possibly.

has been full for a couple of weeks only its a fairly new tank ( bought second hand ).. i think it should be fine..

As for the silicon, can you recommend a good product? i see selleys has a glass silicon that is supposed to be ok for tanks.. Any thoughts? can you point me in the direction of a suitable product.

Finally should the patch glass be as thick as the rest of the tank? ( i assume the answer is yes )

Thanks for the help..