sump return pump setup query

Jammos

Hi

just starting to look at setting up the new tank :D

I have two options for the pump setup and was wondering what people thought if not maybe changes?!?

The tank will be 1500 x 600 x 500 with a 3 foot sump directly under it.

I am having the tank drilled so the pvc pipes go striaght up /down.

The two options are :

a - Laguna utility pump 7 (8000L/hr) setup with a T so most of the water will return to the tank and the T will divert some back into the sump - maybe to the skimmer? (unsure of skimmer at the mo as mine is too small)

b - ehiem 1262 return pump by itself with everything else seperate.

All comments wellcome

cheers

james

I have always found that if you take a T off a pump outlet you tend to loose a lot of your pressure.

I would run a separate return pump, and have the water from the overflow going through the skimmer. At least this way, all the water from the overflow will get a chance to get skimmed.

Daniel

I have a Laguna 6 for a return pump on similar size tank and it has to pump at a 3mtr head. Does a reasonable job but a Laguna 7 will be better. Make sure the return hole to the sump is near the bottom of the tank so you can install a durso or proper overflow. My tank has both holes near the top of the tank making it hard to set up a decent overflow that is not noisy or doesn’t take the surface water without the slurping noise.

Pain in the butt really

ive got almost the identical setup. use the laguna 7, the eheim is no comparison. the 7 will also give a good deal of water flow even allowing for the head height. the flow rate chart on the 7s box is very accurate, i get 3000 lt hr from my sump directly downstairs. i sometimes use the 1262 to keep things in suspension in the sump so they can be skimmed.

I have a very similar setup too, but a 4 foot sump, directly under the tank. IMO the UP7 is to big for the sump, the water powers through it and I have lots of problems with micro bubbles. There is no need to pump hugh amounts through the sump I would go with the 1262

Im currently running the 1262 on a 4 foot tank and its great. I will soon be switching to a 5x2x2 tank and transfering the eheim over to it. I have a mate running a laguna 5 and hes always complaining about the noise. Not sure if its just his or if lagunas are just like that.