Baby whistling tree frogs

Interfecus

The first of my 5 tadpoles just emerged from the water this morning. So far I've had no deaths and all of the rest of the tadpoles are about to transform within a week or so. Does anybody know of any foods that a one centimetre long frog can catch and eat? I think that fruitflies might be too quick because it is still rather lethargic and has part of a tail left.

Ira, how many frogs do you have? What proportion of tadpoles (in this group) survived to change? What sort of tank are you keeping them in?

I'm quite interested in how others have arranged it.

People say that the tadpoles prefer clouded water is better for the frogs but I kept the bowl well cleaned and so far have had 100% survival. Has anybody else had any experience with this? I would like to know whether this theory is always true, only true for some species, or a complete myth.

I've posed quite a few questions here, so please make it clear which one you're answering. Thanks :) .

I bought 5 and 4 survived so far. They've been frogs for about 3 weeks. The one tadpole I lost wasn't long after I got them, so I'd say it was more of an acclimation problem than how I took care of them, just using water from my pond. They're in one of those little bluish generic pet containers you get at the pet stores along with a small birdsnest fern, some generic fern type and a bowl of water. It's smaller than I'd like, but I'll need to find them something bigger.

I tried whiteworms on my guys, they didn't seem interested and the whiteworms just crawled out of the container and have taken up residence under the moss. Kinda interesting watching the whiteworms crawl out of a container, they kinda group together, a bunch of them forming kind of a superwhiteworm that looks around and crawls.:)

Its quite surprising how quickly they transform. A couple of days ago the front legs came out, this morning it climbed out, and in the space of the rest of the day it has lost most of the tail. Whereas the tail was about the length of the body when it emerged this morning, the tail is now just the length of a front leg. The froglet has already started climbing the plants, even trying to climb a nearly vertical miniature flax, although it failed on that attempt. I've tried putting some whiteworms in the lid of a film canister as food, and I've seen a small caterpillar and a tiny moth among the plants. I've also got the wingless fruitflies for later.

I can't work out from watching him whether he likes or dislikes being misted each day. He reacts by pointing his head towards the source and opening his mouth, but also makes an agitated-looking movement with one of his front legs. I've observed this several times over the last few days. How do yours react to being sprayed?

The second emerged while I was absent yesterday. Apparently it appeared very pale, probably due to oxygen starvation because it emerged before the lungs were complete. It has a normal colour now and is much larger than the first one. I'll have to wait to see whether the new one is abnormally large or whether the first is just very small.

Nah, I doubt it being pale was due to lack of oxygen. I think they might change color a bit with their mood or surroundings, not sure. But I had 3 that were dark when they first climbed out of the water(Well, when I first saw them out) and one that was pale. But anyway, I think their lungs are fairly well developed long before they come out of the water.

You're probably right. It was probably just a sign of high stress. The frogs are being kept at my dad's house, and I've been popping over every two days to clean the water. Somebody here added cucumber while I was away but forgot to remove the seeds from the centre of the slices first. The entire centre disintegrated in the water and made it really foul. He emerged from this slime and clung to the side of the bowl, probably very stressed because of it.

I'd just like to mention that fruit flies(To feed the frogs) even though they're wingless are a massive pain in the butt! I just seperated mine into 7 new cultures and fed my frogs with some. They just go all over the place! And they hop! That's something I hadn't considered.