C Chrysonotus pic - hopefully

OutOfAfrica

C. azureus and C. chrysonotus are a different fish, I think so anyway..

You have to be careful when buying these. I know in the states that S. fryeri are been sold as C. chrysonotus.

Have a look at the pics of all 3 species & see what best suits what you have OOA.

Chrysonotus should have black spots, as does azureus

http://www.malawi.cichlids.ru/images/fishes/copad_chryso.jpg

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_azureus.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/s_fryeri.php

It's a very good quality, of what I think it is.

Frenchy :D

C. Chryso and C. Azureus are often named as the same fish - does not make things any easier :roll: I am picking azureus from the picks - beautiful none the less.

Yep females have the spots. I have been spawning these for years too and they all look the same when mature so no probs there.

I also have S Fryeri - totally different fish altogether.

All my fish have been "line bred" ( for lack of a better phase ) and all come out exactly like their parents when raised to maturity so no mix ups here :D

Well IMO definalty not C. Chrysonotus

It might be a Copadichromis azureus though I think more likely a Hybrid as all these species females are difficult to tell apart

Former name for Copadichromis azureus is Haplochromis chrysonotus which is a different fish to Copadichromis chrysonotus

This is where the confusion starts

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1011

Brad

Oh no, here we go again. Dam these cichlids... :P

To me I am undecided. The pic that OOA has placed up to me is a young male specimen. Therefore I will reserve what I think to its older. Really hard to tell.

I believe C. chrysonotus is ruled out, that part is easy. As for the other 2 names I have mentioned all you can go by is body shape at this stage.

SCIAENOCHROMIS%20AHLI%20(%20ELECTRIC%20BLUE%20).jpg

cchrysonotus.jpg

C.AzureusMareri01m.jpg

Dad looked like the fish below - C azureus.

I sold him and mum quite some time ago otherwise I would have a pic of him and not junior :-?

Unfortunately my latest decision means that my original parent stock has gone already - funny how it does occur to you to take pics until a situation like this comes along :roll:

F N scientists - when will they stop re-classifying everything, makes it hard for the novice to know what is going on with what :evil:

Just from looking at those photos

I would have think the Ventral fins look Azureus to me but head shape looks fryeri to me

Where is that link Justin

its about these fish sold in the US

Brad

Also OOA they have to do this when they realise they arent the same species

Alot of these guys started as Haplochromis

Same as Cichlasoma

Only when they realise how different they are then the names keep changing

Better with plecs and the L number system

well in a way :lol:

You mean this one Brad?

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=346066&sid=a7601f78201de531998b56a1bd8a1062

Copidichromis azureus used to be called incorrectly by the trade name chrysonatus years ago, until azureus was given it's own scientific name. sometimes C. azureus is still called chrysonatus by some dealers

Copidichromis azureus and C. chrysonatus are different species. C. azureus is a more common fish, males pretty much all deep blue, chrysonatus get mostly black with a whiteish blue blaze sort of like "Mloto" types

all Copidichromis used to be called Haplochromis years ago until they got their own genus, so Haplochromis is pretty much a mostly meaningless old catch-all name. you still see it sometimes.

There you go.

Sorry I just noticed this comment, below. {quote} Them ones, make me go oh dear :roll: & roflmao. :lol:

It is not me who is confused - I know what I have. I started keeping Africans when M. Auratus :o were classified as Psuedotropheus . Oh how things have changed.

But I know where you are coming from :wink:

"I know one thing, & that is that I know nothing"

Well, firstly you thought it was C. chrysonotus. Then you headed towards C. Azureus.

Dad looked like the fish below - C azureus.

Well its a pity the one in pic dosen't.

I would have think the Ventral fins look Azureus to me but head shape looks fryeri to me
I think that too. But I would like to see the pic of the fish when bigger, give it a chance.

Did OOA ever keep peacocks, electric blues, lithobates or Azureus together?

I know this here can be confusing.

Copidichromis azureus used to be called incorrectly by the trade name chrysonatus years ago, until azureus was given it's own scientific name. sometimes C. azureus is still called chrysonatus by some dealers

Copidichromis azureus and C. chrysonatus are different species. C. azureus is a more common fish, males pretty much all deep blue, chrysonatus get mostly black with a whiteish blue blaze sort of like "Mloto" types

all Copidichromis used to be called Haplochromis years ago until they got their own genus, so Haplochromis is pretty much a mostly meaningless old catch-all name. you still see it sometimes.

Now if you are going to post this

It is not me who is confused - I know what I have. I started keeping Africans when M. Auratus :o were classified as Psuedotropheus

You would think with all that knowledge & experience you would be up with the play.

Especially when you have been breeding these for years. What have you been selling them as then?

ears?Yep females have the spots. I have been spawning these for years too and they all look the same when mature so no probs there.

Have you been "thinking" they were C. chrysonotus for years, without being sure. But hey I will sell as this because I can?

Nimbo, what are the chances the "blue lump head" was one of OOA.

ps; Don't take it the wrong way, I found that last post to be very W##ky.

Frenchy - we agree totally on this. I put it down as C Chryso because that is what most people know them as. When mature they " fill out " much the same as a lot of Utaka do ( and South American Cichlids do ).

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO - I NEVER MIX MY SPAWNING FISH - EVER!

I only mix my display fish and NEVER take fry from these tanks. I have not sold any of these so far, I have just distributed them amongst enthusiasts locally ( of which all but a few have managed to either give up or kill them :evil: ).

As for the comment: "Have you been "thinking" they were C. chrysonotus for years, without being sure. But hey I will sell as this because I can?"

WHAT A F#@K N INSULT :evil:

These guys have bred true for as long as I have had them. No odd balls - just like mum and dad when all grown up. If I have miss ID'ed them then so be it. Sorry for being Human.

I will leave it up to " the experts " - you guys decide. They breed true whatever " the experts " ID them as and that is very important no matter what strain / species. As for Azur' Fryeri' cross - good one guys :roll:

Don't need to be that insulted. As I said,

Don't take it the wrong way, I found that last post to be very W##ky.
Expect a reply that isn't going to please. Especially when you did make a mistake,

miss ID'ed them then so be it. Sorry for being Human.
Yep, we all make mistakes. That was the point of my reply. As I said don't take it to heart. I take offense to people proclaiming to be experts. That is how I read this comment below.

I know what I have. I started keeping Africans when M. Auratus were classified as Psuedotropheus

Thats why I threw this quote in there,

"I know one thing, & that is that I know nothing"

Experts, there are none.

That is why I also said to I would like to see the fish when bigger, I will have a better idea. To me it isn't quite right.Going by the azureus over here.

That is all Brad comparing them too as well.

I guess I am more lets wait & see, Brad is confident they are not.

Yep Utaka do fill out. In a shop I can tell the difference between them, peacocks, electric blues...all at 3cm, its pretty easy.

Frenchy,

Most of the post I am all open ears about - life is one big learning curve.

BUT, I take exception to your comment about "I think they are these so I will just sell them as such anyway" or words to that effect. I try Extremely hard to get it right so others don't start mixing up what little we have to start with.

If you take a look at thread " ChCh fish room closing up" there is another pic - it may help ? These are not hybrids, I will see if I can find a pic of Dad somewhere?

Any fish I have doubts about or are not what they should be ( and I cannot find a suitable match ) go to the great tank in the corner and there they meet another mouth brooder I have - MR SHOVELNOSE. Only problem though is he doesn't seem to "hold" for long :wink: . Some fish do take a while to get the hang of "holding" though so I wil keep trying LOL :lol:

Frenchy,

What about Copadichromis verduyni ? . I am curious now.

The importer I got them off brings in weird species from time to time so maybe this may be one of those interesting finds.

I have just looked through my Ad Konings book and Aqualex CD. They do actually look VERY similar to this species. What do ya think. Remember - these guys breed true - all off spring are miniature versions of their parents and turn out like Mum and Dad when mature. So they must be something legitimate.

I doubt that they are verduyni. They should have the black spots on the body.

I am sure that if the importer came across these on his list they would know. verduyni & chrysonatus are dearer to, so no doubt the importer would of stung you for these if they were that. What were they brought in as? Hopefully not "blue lump head" :roll:

I am starting to wonder about the quality of the importers over there, on reading some of the posts. Not hard to find a quality wholesaler in asia, its easy to find a cheap dodgy ones. We are lucky here to have 2 high quality importers. There is one lfs here that brings in his own cheap stuff, now wheres the photo of the fish he brought in as an orange peacock.

Theres a point to, orange peacock, why are they importing cichlids by just there common name? :-?

Found them,

Awholebunchofthem.jpg

As for breeding true, some cross breeds do that too. Not saying yours are. Electric blues & litho cross look just like an electric blue still. Just they carry over the spots of the litho's.

Then again, some pure wild species don't even breed true.

eg;

In the lake, Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Chipoka" demonstrates a variable color variation, ranging from sunflower yellow to fire-orange.

This is where the rubin reds come from

Capitalizing on the occassional orange male, Ruisbroek in Maassluis, the Netherlands, developed a red strain by selecting fry that had more and more red. Eventually, he turned out a very red peacock - the Ruby Red. It was dubbed "Rubin Red" simply because Peter Rubin was the first in the United States to import the strain.

Thats another story :lol:

Who knows what is really going on then - maybe ALL the Africans we have everywhere are in fact hybrids then :o

The guy I get a lot of fish off has brought in many weird varieties with common names attached ( common = permitted ). I even had VC10's ( Placidochromis milomo ) listed as geraffes :o . But who am I to complain. I suspect he didn't even know what they where.

I have had Tyranochromis Macrostoma, Cyprochromis Lepstoma as well, + many many other odd balls.

Some of my original T Macro' may still be swimming around in the large tank at "Butterfly Creek" over here in Auckland - these guys brought heaps of my fish a few years back :wink:

Oh well - I will just enjoy what I have for now :D